How healthy do my otos look in these photos?

Photos were taken July 7th. They've been in a quarantine tank since June 19th. Originally had 12, lost one on day two. No obviously observable issues since then. After devouring all the algae in my quarantine tank, and going through all my windowsill algae growing rocks, they've been on just pieces of sinking algae round wafers and occasionally blanched cucumbers and spinach.

The ones in the pictures are all different individuals, even though I couldn't get all 11 into photos. This weekend will be the end of week 3. I will either move them then or next weekend after week 4. I had to remove a lot of plants so there is much less cover than there was in the first two weeks. Main concern right now is small spike in Nitrite (0.25) probably due to plant removal reducing BB and the plants themselves up taking stuff. (Nitrate went up too as expected from plant removal but not to any concerning level.) Added some water conditioner to neutralize stuff anyway. There is still some purigen in the filter also.

I don't have a reason to think there is anything wrong, they appear to be behaving as they always have, and have no issues eating the wafers, and veggies. The one that died on day 2 had nothing obviously wrong, so I assume it was just a stress death, despite drip acclimation. I was told they were in the LFS for a week before I purchased.

This is the first time I have owned otos though, so I'd like more opinions based on how they look in the photos.

The display tank they will be going into is a heavily planted 55g algae-covered mess that has been running since December. (which I've skimped cleaning on a bit in anticipation of moving these guys in soon). It currently only contains blue dream neo-caridina shrimp, a couple of nerites, and hitch-hiked bladder snails. (the blue shrimp in the first pic background is one of the babies that escaped noticed when I moved the shrimp (previous quarantine tank occupants) to the display tank.

Attachments

• 20220707_231738.jpg
    20220707_231738.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220707_231758.jpg
    20220707_231758.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220707_231825.jpg
    20220707_231825.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 14

ProudPapa

My experience with them is pretty limited, but they look good to me. They're sometimes difficult to keep alive because of going too long without being fed and suffering irreparable harm to their digestive systems before reaching the stores, but if that had happened to yours they wouldn't have made it this long.

coldpines

They look pretty good to me, big round bellies and not pale at all

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Deku-Cory
Replies
Views
Beelzebubbles
  • Question
Replies