How hardy are rainbows?

Discussion in 'Rainbowfish' started by domingo3, Mar 24, 2010.

1. d

domingo3 Valued Member Member

My tank is fully cycled now (yay!) Would getting bosemani rainbows be OK to start with, or should I add something else first and get them later?

2. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

I've never dealt with rainbows. The folks that have them love them and I think they are pretty hardy.

3. a

acea091489 Valued Member Member

I have had my rainbowfish for 1 year now.

4. Jeffcameron

Jeffcameron Valued Member Member

I saved an Eastern Rainbow that I got when I picked up a second hand 85G tank I bought. It survived a week in a white bucket with no filtration before I got it. It then got dropped on the floor by the guy I bought it from when he tried to transfer it to an ice-cream container for me and then survived the cycling process of the 85G tank. He/she is thriving now and is much more colourful than when I got it. So IME (which is limited) I would have to say Yes, a hardy fish!

Definitely don't base your decision on this. Just thought I'd add my story of my rainbow :)

5. k

kloseo Well Known Member Member

I have boesman, turquoise and red rainbows.. they are all very hardy but need regular water changes as they will develop columaris ( white stringy infection under their mouth if the water is not good quality) if this happens then just step up the water changes... they are more colorful in groups and are schooling fish they also color up as they age

6. OP
    OP
    d

domingo3 Valued Member Member

kloseo,
    Thanks for the reply. How many of each variety do you have? Do they all school together (the boseman, turquoise and red)?

7. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Rainbows are very hardy IME. I've had several varieties over the last 8yrs & they are seriously tough. Most Rainbows will school together but it depends on the numbers of each variety. If you only have 3-4 of each they will school together. If you have 6 or more of each they will form a school they hangs out together sometimes but at other times will split into species only schools. If you have more than 10 of each they will mostly stick with thier own species in seperate schools.

8. ldbrown3138

ldbrown3138 Valued Member Member

They are very hardy but do require regular water changes. THey also like some current in a tank.

9. k

kloseo Well Known Member Member

i have 2 reds, 2 boesman and 4 turquoise... they do school together, but i noticed that my turquoise color up the best showing off for one another, i am torn between the red and the turquoise as my favorites. They also color up better as they get older

10. G

GBR.Moorrreeee Valued Member Member

I have 4 madagascar and 5 McCullochi. There extremely hardy.

11. pepetj

pepetj Well Known Member Member

M bosemani is probably one of the hardiest rainbowfish out there. However they require good oxigenation (easily addressed by airstone). Lovely fish.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice