How hard is it to.....

1. Kuhli-Loach-Lover Initiate Member

I was wondering how hard it would be to upgrade from a 70 litre tank to a 125 litre tank???

My 70 litre tank is well established so I was really wanting to know how hard it would be on the fish in my sig???

Thanks in advance for any help

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I think it would be a great project to upgrade. I have done it before from a 40 gallon to a 60 gallon and it was easy as cake. I move all my media (unwashed gravel and all) to the 60 gallon tank. You may want to consider getting one more filter. After if ran for a hour or so I moved the fish in. The fish were happy and so was I. Then I cycled the 40 gallon aquarium with new filters for some additional fish.

3. Kuhli-Loach-Lover Initiate Member

Thanks for the help I think I will have to try to covince my mother to help get me the new tank:)

4. WendysJungle Member Member

I've done it before too, went from a 10 gallon to a 37 gallon several years back. I just transferred all my old substrate (plus added some new to cover the larger area), and all my filter media and some of the decor. I put on an additional filter, and tested the heck out of the water in both tanks to make sure the readings were the same before transferring everybody. No fish loss at all, everybody did great, and the new tank was established pretty much immediately. All in all, it was waayyyyy easier than setting up a brand new tank from scratch and dealing with all the water fluctuations!

5. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I've upgraded tanks several times over now, its not that difficult. If you are moving everything to the new tank, then your cycle should be fine. You can either run both filters for a couple months or stuff the media from the old filter into the new filter and leave it. Athough wet gravel does get heavy... its not hard to do, but I would plan to do it on a day you have plenty of time.

6. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

If you move your filter to the new tank and as much of the old gravel and deco and don’t increase the bio-load by purchasing any new fish for a couple of weeks you would have an instantly cycled tank. As suggested I would get a new filter that is suited for the larger tank and run it along with the old filter for at least a month so that the beneficial bacteria has time to colonize the new filter then you could move the old filter back to the old tank and have two set ups.

Most keepers set up the new tank as much as they can before taking anything out of the old tank. I would run the new filter on the new tank for at least a few hours just so that it has time to clean up any junk that might be in the water. Once you are ready you can move the fish almost directly over to the new tank if the waters temperature is the same but I would use at least a short acclimation period due to the cleaner water.

7. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Wow, I can't believe you have all those fish in 19 gallons! I think they would really appriciate the upgrade!

Good luck

8. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Your a Wendy too!!!

9. WendysJungle Member Member

Yep, I hardly ever meet any others. We are few and special! :;toast

10. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

yup the upgrade is as easy as mentioned, now the fun of it all is catching the fish lol. especially those khuli loaches haha

11. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

So which one of you Wendy's is Bruce Springsteen singing about in "Born to Run"?:)

12. WendysJungle Member Member

Oh that MUST be me! I grew up listening to The Boss! :)

13. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Hmmm... WendysJungle, "Jungle Land"...I'm just saying!:)

14. luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

I went from a 30 to a 75. Switched the filter used new gravel and I added an extra filter tank was. Fine