How hard is it to start a saltwater tank?

1. slashgash Member Member

Is it real hard to start and maintain a saltwater tank as opposed to a freshwater?

2. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

The short answer is no, not if you do your research first, and understand what you are trying to accomplish, what to expect, and how to handle situations.

Have you read through the beginner guides on FL yet? https://www.fishlore.com/SaltwaterBeginners.htm

I strongly recommend reading the guides first, as well as the stickies in the SW Beginners Forums here at FL.

A word of advice - there's a reason why research (and patience) head the list of advice to those beginning the SW journey. It took me 9 months of research to feel comfortable enough to plan and start my Reef.

Don't try and absorb all the information at once - you'll be pulling your hair out, saying "it's just too hard"

Take your time - break it up into sections, and try to learn about the different topics. Understand why different approachs are taken, the benefits, the down-sides etc, then you can make an educated decision.

EDIT: I'm only 4-5 months into my reef, I don't consider it successful yet (yes everything is alive, and I haven't lost any live stock), and like my FW - I continue to learn everyday, it's the best bit about the hobby. One thing I can say though, is I know exactly why I do certain things, I understand most of what is happening in my tank, and importantly, I know why I chose the approach I have. Doesn't mean it's necessarily the right or wrong approach.

3. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I agree... Research makes things so much easier. Spend as much time doing every step correctly. Dont rush anything.

Beyond the understanding, and the research, it is nowhere near what people make it out to be!

4. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

If you research what you are doing and ANY type of fish that you want in your tank its actually pretty easy. I don't really take any additional time for my salt tanks than I do my fresh outside feeding my corals (which I wouldn't reccomend to a beg. regaurdless)

If you have a cycled tank and all the equiptment usually you're ready to go with salt. The fish are all generally much more picky about tank mates what they'll eat (and if they'll eat for that matter). Generally saltwater fish get much larger than freshwater fish as well as the fact that saltwater does not carry as much oxygen as freshwater that means you will have a considerably smaller amount of fish. Like my 150 reef only has I think 12 fish at most, maybe less I haven't counted in a long time.

5. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I have to agree... Research is always everything, as in any involved hobby (example, brewing beer)...

6. slashgash Member Member

Thank you guys! Ill research it for awhile, until I feel confident enough that I know what im doing, then I will start one.

7. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

:) glad to hear...

Remember to not rush!

8. mikegip Initiate Member

O0O0O0
    Hi.wellcome to fishlore
    I am a new to my reef too.
    so what do you want to do at first?
    of course.that's SW tank.
    so coral?fish?FOWLR?FO?
    There are more info in this forum.
    I am learning now.

9. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Indeed the first step is to decide what type of setup is wanted, but from there its research, research and more research. There is a lot of info on this forum but nowhere near enough for what i would consider sufficient to give you the confidence and knowledge bank required.

Aquarium research IMO involves 3 things.

1. Choice
    2. Individual Research
    3. Community Opinion

Hence why so many questions asked dont have an exact answer because most people will skip step 1 and 2, which only the person themselves can do.

10. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

With all respect, I believe there is definitely the knowledge to help guide a person in SW here at Fishlore. Maybe not as many articles (yet) but fishlore was (and still is somewhat) primarily a freshwater tropical biased forum.

I do agree that individual research is the key to one's understanding. The best approach is to go out and learn/research/read whatever you want to call it. Then when you think you've got it, you can ask the community. Or if something just doesn't make sense, even after all the research, then ask the community as well. Maybe we can help explain it.

11. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I apologize, i should've been more specific when i said info. I meant info already on the forum, not info gained from questions brought to the community. :)

As for the methodology you explained, yes that is 100% the way to go about it. Theres is no other way that works all that well.

12. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

:D :;hf

13. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

:)

As for the original OP, i think after my much research that i believe in terms of maintenance, SW is easier