10 Gallon Tank How Frequently Should I do Water Changes

Gameynerd23

Hello, I have two ten gallon tanks with one male betta and two Mystery snails in each one. I also have a 5.5 gallon tank with one Mystery Snail in it. I've been doing weekly, 25% water changes on all three of them, but I'm curious if I should switch to bi weekly water changes. Thanks for the help!

BigManAquatics

Snails poop a lot so you should be fine what your doing now.

Upvote 0

Gameynerd23

Snails poop a lot so you should be fine what your doing now.
Cool, that works for me. Thanks for letting me know!

Upvote 0

IntegralGuy

Mystery Snails do leave a lot of waste. I think your current change routine should be fine. Definitely get the API water test kit to stay up to date on ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels, and if things get out of hand a water change can help.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Hello, I have two ten gallon tanks with one male betta and two Mystery snails in each one. I also have a 5.5 gallon tank with one Mystery Snail in it. I've been doing weekly, 25% water changes on all three of them, but I'm curious if I should switch to bi weekly water changes. Thanks for the help!
You could continue with what you are doing but once a month do a bigger water change on each tank. By doing so it helps remove those things we don't normally test for but are very gradually building up in our tanks if we don't keep them diluted. The small water changes are allowing these things to accumulate in the tank.

To be perfectly honest though I would be changing out no less than 50% each week instead of 25% and a 75% once a month but I am a firm believer in the idea that we can never keep the water too fresh and too clean for our water pets.

One other reason for doing the bigger water changes is it keeps our tank waters parameters closer to our tap water. Should something happen and we are forced to do some much bigger water changes or move our fish over to all new fresh water it shouldn't affect them like it would if the parameters of tap and tank were drastically different. As always just my humble opinion. :)

Upvote 0

Sorg67

One other reason for doing the bigger water changes is it keeps our tank waters parameters closer to our tap water. Should something happen and we are forced to do some much bigger water changes or move our fish over to all new fresh water it shouldn't affect them like it would if the parameters of tap and tank were drastically different. As always just my humble opinion. :)
This is a biggie in my opinion. If you keep tank water similar to tap water, you do not have to worry about shocking fish with a change. You can move fish from one tank to another and be confident water will be similar. You can do a near 100% water change if you have an emergency need.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CHJ
  • Question
Replies
Views
Gameynerd23
Replies
Views
CHJ