How fast will i grow?

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi, I am a new bala shark waiting to come home to mojos tank. Will i be okay for a year in his 45 gallon. How fast will i grow, I know he will get another tank soon he already has MTS. Is it a safe bet i will be okay for a year i am 3"long right now.
Future resident of MOJOs tank.

Jmarcus

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have two balas in a 55 gallon tank they are a little over a year old and about 6 inches long. Beautiful fish I Love to watch them.

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
how big were they when you brought them home i am considering them very soon.
mojo

Jmarcus

Valued Member
Reaction score
They were about 3 inches long. The store called them med. size. I am very pleased with them so far.

metal_man666

Reaction score
ok first of all the whole first person fish perspective thing was a little odd but NEWAYS... i was thinking about getting 1 bala as well but my tak is 17gal. and has 3 tiger barbs and a red tail in it. good match? i figure that the tank might be small though

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
metal_man666 said:
ok first of all the whole first person fish perspective thing was a little odd but NEWAYS... i was thinking about getting 1 bala as well but my tak is 17gal. and has 3 tiger barbs and a red tail in it. good match? i figure that the tank might be small though
yeah the bala shark does get pretty big so he couldn't be in there forever.
mojo

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bala sharks get to 13 inches long and they love to school...so you need a huge, huge aquarium for them. Even a 55 is too small.

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Stradius011 said:
Bala sharks get to 13 inches long and they love to school...so you need a huge, huge aquarium for them. Even a 55 is too small.
thats what i mean. how fast? The bala sharks at my local pet store come in 3" and in 6" if i got a 3" bala shark in my 45 g which already has 8 bnlack skirts = 16" and 6 black neons = 9"
a common pleco = 3". 16 + 9 + 3 + 3 = 31" plenty of space for the pleco and the bala to grow until i set up a bigger tank. I was thinking in the 65 - 90 g range. I think it it a safe idea and its a way to justify to the girlfriend to make some more space for them in the house. lol
mojo

Cody

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Stradius011 said:
Ba-la sharks get to 13 inches long and they love to school...so you need a huge, huge aquarium for them. Even a 55 is too small.

i believe in the fishlore Bala shark fish profile it says a 55 gal is minimum...i think it would be fine for a year.....thats just me...when i first started i had a bala living in a 20 gallon for 7 months before he was murderd....i didnt have the heart to get rid of him..and he always was happy always swiming eating good not being mean ..i miss him

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cody said:
Stradius011 said:
Ba-la sharks get to 13 inches long and they love to school...so you need a huge, huge aquarium for them. Even a 55 is too small.

i believe in the fishlore Bala shark fish profile it says a 55 gal is minimum...
I disagree with that.

Cody

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
well.....take it up with mike or who ever wrote the fish profiles

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom