How fast should he grow?

1. DebsR

DebsR Valued Member Member

Hi all,
    Quick question, i've had my clown pleco for 2 weeks now, he was tiny when i got him maybe 1.5" and he doesn't seem to be growing at all. Am I just being paranoid? All my other fish (danios, neons and gouramis) seemed to grow after the first week.
    He has driftwood to eat obviously, and he also has various veggies maybe 3 times a week, and I drop an pleco wafer in every other day. He loves courgette and i know he eats that...in fact he becomes a real grouchy so and so if anyone else goes near it, not sure if he gets the wafers though as my shrimp and gouramis love them, and as im feeding him those at night i dont see him come out for them.

I know clown plecos are small plecos but just thought he should have at least grown a little by now.

Sorry in advance if im being a paranoid fish parent lol

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Try keeping veggeis available 24/7 as well as a pleco wafer or a half a wafer asp on depending on the kind . They consume a lot of food and rasp on driftwood to get some fibers and biofilm and algea from it. For my BNs I use hikari mini wafers and alternate daily with hikari bottom feeder wafers plus a couple of shrimp pellets. So they have a good variety. They don't grow that quick but my guess is he needs more food daily. Alison:;hi1

4. OP
    OP
    DebsR

DebsR Valued Member Member

Thank you :) i will maybe try some sinking pellets too, and up his veggies. So far he's only really been interested in courgette but will keep trying other things too.

5. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

On page 3 of the thread !!Plecos Share Yours I wrote a post on fruits and veggies to feed your BN plecos which would apply to the clowns as well. I have three BNs and they are my favorite fish. Give that a read and it will give you some more ideas of things to try and hints. It is about halfway down page 3. Alison;)