Question how fast do oscars grow?

dyco619

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
hi, i wonder if any oscar keepers can help me out? i just bought 2 oscars today, i couldnt help myself!!! i currently have them in an 85ltr tank, after removing the previous octupants. they are currently about 4 inches, i have 150ltr tank that is empty that i need to get a new filter for and get up and running cycled etc... so how long before they out grow the 85ltr tank??
i also have plans for a 450ltr tank..

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore !!
unfortunately, they will out grow the 85l in a few months...and in that size tank, you will need at least 10 times the filtration to keep the tank clean.. for 2 adult oscars, they need a 500l or bigger by the first year....ive been there where I say ill get bigger eventually...but life throws us curve balls and that just doesnt always get to happen...

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore

Excellent advice from Shawnie. At 10cm I'd say they have already outgrown your 85lt (22gal) tank. They really need that 150lt (40gal) now & that will only last them for a few months as Shawnie suggested. 450lt (118gal) would be minimum for two adult Oscars IMO if they are kept as the only two fish in the tank. You will need excellent filtration & weekly water changes to deal with all the waste they will produce, even in 120gal.

My Oscars went for 3" to 10" in just over 12 months. The growth slowed a little after that & they got to thier full adult size of 14" & 15.5" about another year later. In other words, they grow pretty fast.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom