How Fast Do Goldfish Grow?

Princethepurplebetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI guys. I have 2 oranda goldfish and was wondering how fast they grow on average? Theyre in a 20 gallon long (moving to a 50 gallon in a week) with sand and amazon sword

I also need some name suggestions for the 2, no clue on genders.

20190331_194033.jpg

HouseBillings

Reaction score
Princethepurplebetta said:
HI guys. I have 2 oranda goldfish and was wondering how fast they grow on average? Theyre in a 20 gallon long (moving to a 50 gallon in a week) with sand and amazon sword

20190331_194033.jpg
I love the amazon sword, just got a planted tank up and running with that and some java moss. What substrate are you going to use? I know the fish isn't pink but you should name them peaches n cream

OP
Princethepurplebetta

Princethepurplebetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HouseBillings said:
I love the amazon sword, just got a planted tank up and running with that and some java moss. What substrate are you going to use? I know the fish isn't pink but you should name them peaches n cream
I like to use fine sand

HouseBillings

Reaction score
Most oranda goldfish will get to be around 6-7 inches. They can grow quickly if given the space.

FiscCyning

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They will be fine for a week provided the tank is cycled. I always quarantine my new young fancies in a 20 gallon before adding them to the big tank.

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Who knows. Some fish are just runts. I've grown a few goldfish to 8" within a year. I have another one that has barely grown, after having it for months now. It's more or less 2". And I've been doing on avg. of three 90 percent water changes a week. Orandas can get huge, sure. There are pics out there of huge goldfish no matter the breed. I've even seen some big ones sold at fish stores labeled "XXL". Usually they are artificially grown--fed 4-6 times a day--and aren't the best of health. Half of them have buoyancy issues. You pay good money for them, say $100, and they live for only about a year or two, because to grow them so big requires a drastic increase in metabolism, which results in shorter-lived fish. If you're parameters are good and aren't feeding too much, I wouldn't worry about growth rate.

OP
Princethepurplebetta

Princethepurplebetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FiscCyning said:
They will be fine for a week provided the tank is cycled. I always quarantine my new young fancies in a 20 gallon before adding them to the big tank.
The tank is almost cycled. I think it should be ready in a week (if not theyll stay in the 20 until it is). How long does it normally take for them to get fully grown?

candiedragon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are some factors to consider, and it depends if you're just going to maintain them or if you will be making the effort to groom them. You could grow them huge in 1-2 years, or you can just manage them in a healthy manner and they can probably reach their size in a few more years than that.

Orandas are some of the larger fancy goldfish breeds, some even reaching 10-12" in length. However, that heavily depends on genetics and how well the breeder culls (many of which wind up being sold in some shops).

So it's hard to say. I would recommend taking it slow, feed small meals with high quality foods and of course stay on top of water maintenance, see where it takes you.

FiscCyning

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The tank is almost cycled. I think it should be ready in a week (if not theyll stay in the 20 until it is). How long does it normally take for them to get fully grown?
Is the 20 gallon they’re in now cycled? If not you’ll want to be doing frequent water changes to keep ammonia levels down.

jerryrard

Reaction score

20190331_194033.jpg
Hi! I wanted to ask you on how much have your oranda grown after four months? I have 2 oranda goldfish too.

OP
Princethepurplebetta

Princethepurplebetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I sadly lost the white one. But the orange one has grown about 3 inches so far

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
GoldfishNatalie said:
The whitish one is dead.
Oops sorry. I didn't realize this thread was that old and I just skimmed threw.

New Threads