How Fast Do Goldfish Grow?

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by Princethepurplebetta, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Princethepurplebetta

PrincethepurplebettaWell Known MemberMember

Hi guys. I have 2 oranda goldfish and was wondering how fast they grow on average? Theyre in a 20gallon long (moving to a 50gallon in a week) with sand and amazon sword :)

I also need some name suggestions for the 2, no clue on genders.

20190331_194033.jpg

2. HouseBillings

HouseBillingsNew MemberMember

I love the amazon sword, just got a planted tank up and running with that and some java moss. What substrate are you going to use? I know the fish isnt pink but you should name them peaches n cream

3. OP
    OP
    Princethepurplebetta

I like to use fine sand :)

4. HouseBillings

HouseBillingsNew MemberMember

Most oranda goldfish will get to be around 6-7 inches. They can grow quickly if given the space.

5. FiscCyning

FiscCyningWell Known MemberMember

They will be fine for a week provided the tank is cycled. I always quarantine my new young fancies in a 20 gallon before adding them to the big tank.

6. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Who knows. Some fish are just runts. I've grown a few goldfish to 8" within a year. I have another one that has barely grown, after having it for months now. It's more or less 2". And I've been doing on avg. of three 90 percent water changes a week. Orandas can get huge, sure. There are pics out there of huge goldfish no matter the breed. I've even seen some big ones sold at fish stores labeled "XXL". Usually they are artificially grown--fed 4-6 times a day--and aren't the best of health. Half of them have buoyancy issues. You pay good money for them, say $100, and they live for only about a year or two, because to grow them so big requires a drastic increase in metabolism, which results in shorter-lived fish. If you're parameters are good and aren't feeding too much, I wouldn't worry about growth rate.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  7. OP
    OP
    Princethepurplebetta

The tank is almost cycled. I think it should be ready in a week :) (if not theyll stay in the 20 until it is). How long does it normally take for them to get fully grown?

8. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

anywhere between 3-5 yrs.

9. candiedragon

candiedragonWell Known MemberMember

There are some factors to consider, and it depends if you're just going to maintain them or if you will be making the effort to groom them. You could grow them huge in 1-2 years, or you can just manage them in a healthy manner and they can probably reach their size in a few more years than that.

Orandas are some of the larger fancy goldfish breeds, some even reaching 10-12" in length. However, that heavily depends on genetics and how well the breeder culls (many of which wind up being sold in some shops).

So it's hard to say. I would recommend taking it slow, feed small meals with high quality foods and of course stay on top of water maintenance, see where it takes you.

10. FiscCyning

FiscCyningWell Known MemberMember

Is the 20 gallon they’re in now cycled? If not you’ll want to be doing frequent water changes to keep ammonia levels down.

11. jerryrard

jerryrardNew MemberMember

Hi! I wanted to ask you on how much have your oranda grown after four months? I have 2 oranda goldfish too.

12. OP
    OP
    Princethepurplebetta

I sadly lost the white one. But the orange one has grown about 3 inches so far :)