How Fast Do Clown Loaches Grow?

Discussion in 'Clown Loach' started by Aqua'rd_FishKeeper, Apr 11, 2018.

1. A

Aqua'rd_FishKeeper New Member Member

I know they can get a decent size, but how fast do they grow if i get them small and raise them up?

2. FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlake Well Known Member Member

In the first 2 or so years they will grow to around 5 inches, then they grow around an inch a year from then on.

3. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Purchased at 1" mine grew at an average of 1/2" per year in a six foot tank.
    This rate of growth has continued throughout their lives.
    Mine are now 24 and biggest is 11.5".
    See pics in the Clown Loach photo thread at Clown Loach Photos
    Ideally you will have a minimum 72" x 24" x 24" aquarium.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  4. Sol

Sol Valued Member Member

I got a clown loach (by recommendation of the pet store person) to help me control nuisance snails in my 10 gallon tank. This little guy is like 1 ". I have a new tank (30 gallons) that I was hoping to move all my fish to ( the ones in the 10 gallon) plus new additions. Right now in my 30 gallons I have a gold snail and some red eye tetras to help me cycling my tank. The question is... Can I put my clown loach in the 30 gallons tank once is cycle and I start moving all the fish from the 10 gallon?
    I ask the pet store person if he (clown loach)would hurt my pet snail Garry and he said no. But now reading how big they can get to grow... I am genuine worry about Garry...
    What do you guys think?

sol

5. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I think that what you want to call your pet snail is your business.

But on the Clown Loach question not only is this fish a danger to your snail it is not acceptable to keep it alone because they need to be in groups and it is not acceptable to keep it in a 30g because this will cause stunting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice