How fast do Angelfish grow? Stocking question... Question

1. lorianne621 Member Member

How fast do Angelfish grow?

I would love to put two in a 29 gallon Hex tank that I have set up and cycled... it has been cycled for several months and has only a couple snails and one lonely BN Pleco in it. It also has several plants.

I really want to put two small angel fish in there but hesitate because I know they really need a bigger tank. I do have a 55 gallon I could move them to. It is not currently set up and my hubby would like me to wait until after our house sells... just because moving full tanks is harder than moving empty ones...

So... my thoughts are that I would like to get a couple of Angelfish and put in the 30 gallon hex so we can enjoy them for a while... maybe 6 to 12 months. But if they grow really fast then that is probably not a great idea because then I will have to plan on moving them sooner rather than later and I don't want to be forced into setting up the 55 gallon before we move, and of course, we have no way of knowing for sure when that will be.

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I always think it's better to stock as if the fish are already adult size, it gives the fish plenty of room to grow with no fear of stunting them.
    If you had to wait 12 months until the house is sold you'd have two large angelfish in a small tank
    I would wait until you move & then set up the 55, then you can enjoy watching them grow without having to move them.

3. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

+1 on the above.

4. lorianne621 Member Member

So then, you both think a 29 gallon hex is too small for Angelfish? My LFS says that two will do fine in there but when I check on aqadviser... it does not even list them as suitable for the tank... so I was just a little confused as to the suitability at all.

5. WiFi Well Known Member Member

If you don't currently own them, I would hold off on buying them (what if the 55g breaks in the move and you don't have money to replace it?)

Also, You remove water before moving tanks right? Never move a fish tank that is holding water, its a lot of stress for the seals and the seams!

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I would take a lot of the advice from an Lfs with a pinch of salt & always double check before buying anything.
    You could get away with one angel in your hex tank but imo it hasn't got room for two adults

7. lorianne621 Member Member

Okay, that is pretty much what I wanted to know... so no Angels in the hex. I guess we will have to think of something else.

And yes, you are right. We do not want to move the 55 with water in it. The small tanks... not such a big deal if they have a little water if one person can carry them easily... but not possible with large tanks. Like you said, too much stress on the joints... and I don't like to reseal tanks. That is why the 55 currently is empty, though it makes me sad.
    We are in no hurry to sell and don't even have the house listed... :( My hubby has things he want to do to it first... hahaha... It may be several years... who knows? but I am patient.
    I guess we will have to find something else to put in the Hex while we wait. :D thanks for the advise.

8. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

When I got my marble Angel, she was 3 months old and her body the size of a nickle. By the time she was 1 year old, her body was that of a dollar piece. Today, she is a year and 7 months old and bigger than a dollar piece ( don't have nothing to compare this to ) but the size of my 9 year olds hand!

They grow rapidly. I had her in a 36 gallon with about 20 or so assorted fish ( Mostly Tetras and Zebra Danios ) and just put her in a 72 gallon a month ago.

9. lorianne621 Member Member

More good information and it answers my original question. I guess I could put a couple in this tank but they would outgrow it quickly... so it is a bad idea. Sometimes I think the LFS just wants to sell fish at any cost. <sigh> That is why I always come here. Of course, maybe they think if they sell me the fish and put me in a bad situation I will come back in six months and buy a bigger tank. hahaha... j
    Anyway, as much as I would love to have Angels... I think I will wait and put them in the bigger tank down the road. Thanks for the info.

10. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Yes I believe thats true. And of course, not everyone is knowledgeable about every fish - especially if they have never owned one.
    Great that you are doing your research FIRST..... Many people ( myself included ) buy first without checking things out. Good luck to you