How Far Would You Travel From Lfs With New Fish

wishkahryan

Was wondering how far is to far to travel to buy fish. 45 min to an hour?

david1978

My closest fish store (petco) is an hour away. The closest small fish store (my fish place) is like 2 hours away.

Crispii

It depends on how far your LFS is located to your house. Some LFS don't locate far and some are located a bit further, which takes about 30+ minutes to get there.

wishkahryan

I have one 20 min from,my house but not the best. And I have a really good one an hour away but nervous about keeping the fish alive for an hour car ride.

Crispii

wishkahryan said:
I have one 20 min from,my house but not the best. And I have a really good one an hour away but nervous about keeping the fish alive for an hour car ride.
I actually bought fish from a store that is 30 minutes away from house and got back to my house an hour after I got my fish (due to traffic) and needless to say, they made it.

david1978

Just have them bag them accordingly and an hour is fine. If your getting a school ask them to bag 3 per bag. If larger fish 1 per bag.

JenC

The good stores are about an hour from me. Nothing to worry about in my opinion. I just bring a cooler or insulated bag to protect them from temp swings in winter and summer.

plecodragon

The nearest "Good" pet store is 4.5 hrs from me. And I don't always travel home the same day, so some of my fish I buy can be bagged and placed in a cooler for more then 24 hrs. This pet store now offers oxygen for the bags if you pay $1. 99% of the fish have made it home alive even in winter when it gets lower then -10 'C (heat packs are your friend) Fish are transported around the world for large amounts of time. I know people who have brought home fish from Europe and the US and they make it. It is all in the preparation.

wishkahryan

Ok I guess I just worry too much always want them to be in good condition right away

jinjerJOSH22

Although slightly different I've ordered fish online before and I assume they deliver from the store, which is about 4 or so hours away. They have a warning on their website if it's too cold they won't ship.

david1978

I just put the bags on the passenger seat and throw a shirt over them.

mattgirl

I have a small strrofoam cooler. It both protects from temp swings and keeps them in the dark. The farthest I have traveled is 60 miles to get fish. That is also where I sold the Bettas, Gouramis and zebra danios I bred many many years ago. Popped them in the cooler and they made the trip just fine.

hanra85

Just something to consider, how long do you think it takes to fly these fish from the suppliers likely on the other side of the continent if not world to your local store. Just let them know how far you're going so they can pack them more appropriate for the distance. Also consider online shipping, it may cost less than the gas for a round trip if you're too far.

wishkahryan

So its better to travel and spend a little more money for quality and healthy fish instead of buying possible sick fish from not a great lfs that might not even make it

hanra85

wishkahryan said:
So its better to travel and spend a little more money for quality and healthy fish instead of buying possible sick fish from not a great lfs that might not even make it
I do if they stock the fish I'm looking for in a better quality, but my further preferred option is only an extra 20 minutes per way anyway.

wishkahryan

hanra85 said:
Just something to consider, how long do you think it takes to fly these fish from the suppliers likely on the other side of the continent if not world to your local store. Just let them know how far you're going so they can pack them more appropriate for the distance. Also consider online shipping, it may cost less than the gas for a round trip if you're too far.
Ive never thought about ordering fish online. Are there any sites you would recommend.

hanra85

wishkahryan said:
Ive never thought about ordering fish online. Are there any sites you would recommend.
Not sure, I'm in Canada, none of the American sites seem to ship across the border so I've never bothered looking into them... Would open up a lot of doors for being able to stock specific species though.

wishkahryan

hanra85 said:
Not sure, I'm in Canada, none of the American sites seem to ship across the border so I've never bothered looking into them... Would open up a lot of doors for being able to stock specific species though.
Yea it would I would definitely like getting different strains and quality fish that no one cary around here.

Crispii

wishkahryan said:
I heard that WetSpot is a pretty good site to order fish.

goldface

An hour is nothing to worry about. As far as temps, call me crazy, but I've purchased fish and shrimp from a LFS, then walk around Manhattan in the middle of winter for 45 minutes. Then I get home, pour bag over a net on top of a bucket and dump fish in the tank. No acclimation at all. My fish live long and prosper.

toeknee

I mean every fish that gets shipped to each store spends probably at least 8 hours in a bag to make it to the store in the first place. Theoretically as long as temps are kept in check 6+ hours. But I doubt anyone's driving that far to a LFS. The less time the better of course still.

wishkahryan

Yhanks everyone for the replys.

Elkwatcher

hanra85 said:
hanra85 If you hear of any quality Canadian fish shippers online ( not trans shipper's ) please share! Like you I would like to have some of the specialty fish beyond the usual run of the mill.

RedTail62

4hrs in the bag in my daughter’s apt and a 2hr drive from Orlando to Seminole, Fl. They made it. Bag was filled with oxygen.

kallililly1973

I recently did a 30 minute drive to my LFS for 12 vonrio tetras and 30 minutes back and everyone is thriving in my 55!

angelcraze

All my fish take a 30 min drive at least, any pet store to buy fish is 30 minutes to 1hr away, and I do get caught in traffic too. I have also brought many fish to the LFS, they all are fine. I try to use a cooler type container and fasten it in the seatbelt, but I have bought fish in a whI'm without the cooler in a bag and they were also fine. I once brought 22 rummynose back to the chain fish store 45 mins away in one container and it didn't even register any ammonia by the time she tested because I forgot to bring a separate sample of my water.

For all Canadians, I have ordered fish from Angelfins, but my EB rams really looked like they came with Lymphocystis and my kerrI tetras had anchor worms and something intestinal too. None of them (17) lived past a year even after treating them all. It was a nightmare for me, but the only place I know that ships in Canada.

plecodragon

hanra85 said:
AFishionados ships across Canada. I have ordered plants from him and have had other people order fish.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom