How far can you move Bettas?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's possible that sometime in the future, we might have to move to Denver. That's about a 1800 mile drive from here. So we wanted to ask our Betta experts here - If we did move, would there be any way to safely move our Bettas without exceptional stress to them? any ideas? we'd hate to leave them here, even though we'd find good homes for them.

Thanks,
Stacy & Dave

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You could bag them and put them in a styrofoam cooler and just bring them along in the car. If you stop somewhere take them in with you as you don't want to leave them in a freezing or boiling hot car for any amount of time. If it will take more than a day to get there you can even make a water change in the hotel and open the bags for air. It should be doable.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Phloxface said:
You could bag them and put them in a styrofoam cooler and just bring them along in the car. If you stop somewhere take them in with you as you don't want to leave them in a freezing or boiling hot car for any amount of time. If it will take more than a day to get there you can even make a water change in the hotel and open the bags for air. It should be doable.
Thanks, I appreciate the info.

I think we could even get the air pouches they put in shipping boxes to try to minimize movement for them in the cooler, unless you have ideas for something better? If possible, we'd love them to not feel much movement, if any.. would bags be best or maybe something like jars, rubbermaid containers, etc.. that we could put lids with holes on and maybe take out of the cooler to talk to them & let them see some activity when stopping at hotels? Anything that would give them even a little more comfort to our babies on the trip would be great & worth doing.

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They will swish around a little no matter how careful you are. The bags are safer. If they do hit the sides it will be soft. With a hard surface like a jar or plastic container they could injure themselves. I'd say pack them in bags and pack airbags or something soft around them and they should be fine.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with phloxface I would go with bags. Much safer. We wouldn't want your babies to get hurt. Good luck with the move if and when you decide to go back. Natalie

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
I move my boys in jars, but I'm only going 35 miles.  I agree- bags are better for longer trips.  Just do make absolutely certain to not leave them anywhere the temperatures will go crazy - coolers are not perfect.  Putting a blanket over the cooler really does help... my family travels a lot and thats how we keep drinks cold.  Also- if you take your old filter cartridges and maybe some of your old gravel with you in some water, the bacteria in them will help to keep you from having to re-cycle your tanks.  

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks.. reading your posts, I see my mistake in thinking of more 'solid' containers for our Bettas.. definitely bags with lots of cushioning. Insulating the cooler with a blanket sounds good too.

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've taken my betta on at least 4 trips that were about 3-4 hours long apiece, and I did it in the jar he used to live in. He was perfectly fine on all these trips, as I just held the jar (about 2/3 full) in my lap. He didn't move around too much at all (and my roommate is an AWFUL driver) and I didn't have to worry about him running out of air. I also liked having him in my sight. Your body warmth + a towel wrapped around it keeps the temperature from really going anywhere.

Either way though I am sure your betta will be perfectly fine on the trip... they are rather tough little buggers

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
antisen said:
I've taken my betta on at least 4 trips that were about 3-4 hours long apiece, and I did it in the jar he used to live in. He was perfectly fine on all these trips, as I just held the jar (about 2/3 full) in my lap. He didn't move around too much at all (and my roommate is an AWFUL driver) and I didn't have to worry about him running out of air. I also liked having him in my sight. Your body warmth + a towel wrapped around it keeps the temperature from really going anywhere.

Either way though I am sure your betta will be perfectly fine on the trip... they are rather tough little buggers
Yea, we have time to figure out the details if we do move. We're just glad to not have to leave them behind.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom