How Far Can Fish Travel?

1. K

Kattymatt Initiate Member

The closest pet store to me is 2 hours and 40 minutes away? Will goldfish be ok traveling that far in the plastic bag that Petsmart puts them in for transport?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, they should be fine. I've traveled with fish in a bag for longer than that.

3. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

You know they'll usually take a couple days to get to the pet store, right? 3 hours is nothing, especially if the bag is filled with oxygen and they're in an insulated container.

4. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

It will probably survive but it would be better if you could put it in a bucket or tub.

5. j

jonahdough Initiate Member

I live in Pennsylvania and I recently brought some saltwater fish back home that I caught in the Florida Keys and that's a 23 hour drive. I did have an airstone going in their bag. If you are worried about it, I would just get an air pump and air stone

6. TexasDomer

Be careful about that. What you did might be illegal.

7. j

Thanks for the advice. Everything was legal. As long as there are no protected species, they were not collected in protected areas, and you have a Florida fish collecting license, it is completely legal.

8. TexasDomer

Glad you did your research and followed the rules. That's why I said "might" :)

9. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Dang it all... another reason to move to the states...

10. j

:) yeah the game commission down there is REALLY strict and will even sometimes threaten jail if you break the laws

11. TexasDomer

Oh I know, I lived in FL for a long time :)

12. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

This thread reminds me of something I just experienced.
    I went to PetCo, and brought home a BN, and a Honey Gourami. I ran through a grocery store, and was in there 10 minutes.
    Then I acclimated the fish for nearly an hour, about 50 minutes to be exact.

The next morning, the HG had died, but I didn't know why.
    Later, I went to get another, and return the dead one. The employee asked me if I acclimated, and how long?
    I said, 50 minutes.

What I got in return was this. "Woah! That's twice the time you should be acclimating them for, you suffocated your fish. If you want to return him, I have to test your water."
    My water was tested by me, using the API Master Liquid Kit, and they denied everything I mentioned. They use Tetra QuickStrips for water tests.
    I still have a dead HG in my freezer, because they wouldn't let me return it.

Lastly, I think the culprit was the employee putting the pleco, and the HG in the same bag, from different tanks.
    Here, my second HG is just fine, and going strong.

13. BluMan1914

BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

Right there and then, I would have walked out of the store never to return.

14. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

We bought the gourami, and I won't ever be returning to PetCo for fish. Just hermit crabs.

15. OP
    OP
    K

Kattymatt Initiate Member

I was thinking of making the drive or possibly ordering the fish. I have not researched much about ordering yet.