How Far Away Am I - Fishless Cycle

1. Leila Member Member

so my fishless cycle is progressing well, my ammonia has been 0ppm every 24 hours for over a week or two now. My nitrites are sky high but have yet to drop, how long is left would you say approximately?
  2. Jayd976 Well Known Member Member

typical cycle is anywhere from 4-6 weeks so just keep at it. how long have you been going now?

3. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

How high are nitrites? If they are too high they will stall your cycle.
  4. Leila Member Member

Couldn't tell you, all I know is they are off the chart. Add the drops in and they immediately show purple in the bottom of the tube but I am told this is normal and I should leave it alone. Umm since 21st June I think? So a good couple of weeks or so now

5. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I would do a large water change. Get those nitrites down below 2ppm. You may need to do 2 back to back 75% to get it down. This should get your cycle going again. High nitrites will definitely stall your cycle.

Are you seeing any nitrates at all? What is your pH?
  6. Leila Member Member

My ph is 7.4 and I am seeing slight nitrAte of about 5ppm. I was told not to do a pw change at this point?
  7. Leila Member Member

My ph is 7.4 and I am seeing slight nitrAte of about 5ppm. I was told not to do a pw change at this point?

8. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

You need to do a water change. It's the only way to get your cycle moving again. Who told you not to do a water change? You will have to change your water while cycling. It's part of the process.

Edit: also turn your tank temp up to 84. This temp tends to be the best when trying to get through the second half of cycling. Helps those nitrites to convert quicker.
  9. christopherdiehl77 Member Member

I'm having the same issue. Nitrites have been over 5ppm for several weeks now. Ammonia goes from 4ppm to 0 in 24 hrs. Nitrates are around 40. Idk what to do
  10. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Water change. Enough to drop the nitrites below 2ppm. Turn tank temp up to 84. Both things will get things moving again.

11. Leila Member Member

Tank temp is at 84 already, how can the cycle have stalled if it's still eating the ammonia and producing nitrAtes?
  12. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree that if your nitrites are off the chart, you'll want to do a large water change to bring them down close to 0. When left at high levels, they can be toxic to your beneficial bacteria and then stall your cycle. You have the ammonia converting nitrifyers, you just don't have enough of the nitrite converters.

What is your ammonia source and are you using a bacteria supplement?

After the water change, dose ammonia back to 1-2ppm (depending on your tank size) and then re-test in 24 hours.
  13. Leila Member Member

I have been using liquid ammonia and I am not using a bacteria supplement as there has been no need to
  14. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

That's fine. Definitely not required but it does help speed up the cycle.

Have you done the water change?
  15. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

The second set of beneficial bacteria that eat the nitrites are slower growing than the first set of beneficial bacteria that eats ammonia. So sometimes there is an over abundance of nitrites. It builds up to a super toxic level that not even the bacteria will grow in. By changing the water, it essentially detoxifies the water, and encourages those second beneficial bacteria to start growing and reproducing again. It is very normal for this to happen. The only resolution is a water change.
  16. dickwheat Initiate Member

I had the same issue and did a few large water changes and it helped a lot. It took me about 6-7 weeks.
  17. Leila Member Member

hi all - me again! sorry :p I was wondering if you could identify what colour this is and why it doesn't appear to change much? these two tests were taken on the 21/07/2017 and again on the 23/07/2017. I am unsure what I am actually seeing? The test results have shown similar readings since the 11/07/2017....

Attached Files:

18. dickwheat Initiate Member

Is that a Nitrate test? Your nitrates will usually hover between 0-20 if things are looking good. That is where they appear to be now.
  19. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

You want the nitrate test to read below 20 so that is a good result :)
  20. Leila Member Member

I am fishless cycling currently, that is a nitrAte test. I'm in the middle of a nitrite spike and waiting for these to drop