How far along is she?

1. markah1 Member Member

I hate to make another one of these posts but I've never had female guppies before. I know she's pregnant because she's much bigger than when I got her. Sorry for the crappy pics.

Attached Files:

2. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Its hard to tell but her gravid spot is pretty big, Just make sure to provide cover in your tank for fry and then you can look for babies!

3. ray_sj Member Member

My guess is that she'll drop fry within a week. The area near her anal fin is starting to "square off", which means she's about ready to release fry.

4. cameronpalte Member Member

Those are basically the exact same type of guppy I have, and I had 2 pregnant ones that both dropped last night and the night before. I will try to help you.

From my experience with the 2 guppies they drop during the night. That means if they look like they are about to drop then put it in your fry tank (if your planning on having one) and keep here there over night and in the morning you may be lucky enough to see some babies:).

I have a feeling she'll drop any night, so if its morning time frame when you read this, I highly recommend getting a 10g and setting it up as a "fry tank" ASAP, and as soon as your done transfer her in there. 10 gallons should be ample swimming room for her and in the morning check first hand and be prepared to move her ASAP back into the main tank because she will eat her babies.

Here are a few signs she is about to drop.
    *Not eating. Biggest one for me generally based on the 2 seems to mean she is within ~48 hours.
    *Belly Squaring off. Happening for you.
    *Staying torwards the bottom of the tank.

Best of luck!

5. PrairieSunflower Initiate Member

I had one that looked like this for size and shape and she dropped 14 fry 2 days ago to my shock! I thought she had 1 maybe even 2 weeks to go! On the other hand... I have another that is like a balloon and still nothing! HAHAHA