How expensive is it to start a small nano?

Angela_96
I am wanting to get a small nano.. just big enough for a small fish.. and a small reef.. nothing over 12 gallons size.. ? any suggestions? Would it be cheaper to get a reg tank and do a saltwater?

King_Snuggles
for a reef you need very nice lighting and live rock. both of which will be expensive. I have plans for a 10 gal reef tank nano and its around $280+.

GreenMan13
Angela_96
I was wondering if it would be cheaper for doing a reg salt reef than a nano reef.. I have actually researched prices it looks like the nano reefs looks a bit cheaper.. am I right?

GreenMan13
It will be slightly cheaper but they are also more unstable which can lead to lots of mistakes if you have not done a saltwater tank before. And mistakes in saltwater usually are not cheap. Just make sure you realize this.

You might be able to find the equipment for something like a 50 gallon tank cheaper if you get it used on Craig's List since they are more common then other size tanks.

Also if cost is a large factor compared to time and personal effort, you can DIY most of the equipment for cheaper and get the satisfaction that you made it yourself.

Angela_96
Thanks.. I have seen a lot of stuff on craigslist cheap... like 55 gal saltwater w/ the works... I am ocd w/ my tanks so care is not an issue.. I have ALOT of research and studying to do before I even buy my tank... I am just in the price shopping part right now... I want a reef.. I know that much

andywe
Nano's are great for smaller footprints. I am old school and think 10gal is too small, but others on here seem to ahve great success with them for FOWLR/Reef. Rule of thumb is roughly 1 small fish per 10 gallons.

Nano's are typically nearly complete systems with lighting and pump to do the job. If you want bigger, it is not much more for a FOWLR tank only, but when you get into live rock, Corals, and inverts it can expensive very fast.

I am finishing up planning on a 185 gallon Reef and when it is all said and done it will around $5000.00. My 24 gal Nano was around $550.00 including all fish, test kits ect.

connorsbala
I have had a 12 gallon reef setup for around 8 months with no miss haps so fat touch wood
I don't have a skimmer, as you usually don't need a skimmer in tanks under 30 gals (have one in my seahorse tank as I feed heavily with frozen foods).
I reckon it set me back about £100 (with employee discount). The LR is the thing that's exspensive in the UK I feel, like £8.90 per kilo, £12 else where.
Its do able and fairly easy tbh

Jon_Flynn
Not sure on pricing, as I get all my gear & fish for free (don't ask, just know that my father is obsessed, and loves buying anything aquaria-related for almost anyone), but I know that there are several things you need to account for. Here's a list for a tank similar to my own.

5.5 - 6 gal. tank
Live rock
Gravel/crushed coral (base)
Water
Filter
Sub Compact (lights)
Coral
Fish & other organisms (might I recommend a goby, dottyback, damsel, or wrasse)

All things said and done, this setup shouldn't run you more then a couple hundred bucks.

Hope this helped somewhat.

-Jon

BettaGirl92
Awh Jon, getting used to fishlore?
I agree though, (after a while of researching, as I am strictly freshwater<3) a couple hunderd, maybe three depending on the quality you want.

mastercave
I saw a 1 gallon reef tank at the LFS recently. it had a filter, a 15w fluorescent, live rock, and sand. there were 4 fishes in it (clown, orchid dotty, and 2 others) and some soft corals. the owner says he only needs to top off the water every day.

Angela_96
I saw a 1 gallon reef tank at the LFS recently. it had a filter, a 15w fluorescent, live rock, and sand. there were 4 fishes in it (clown, orchid dotty, and 2 others) and some soft corals. the owner says he only needs to top off the water every day.

A one gallon reef tank? that sounds very small when in freshwater you wouldn't want to even put a snail in a one gallon tank. Thanks for all your replies.. I am going to prob hold off on my sw for a while, and focus on getting a bigger home for my mbuna cichlids, then in a year get a sw tank and do it up w/ a 55 gallon tank instead of a nano, so that I can get exactly what I want.

mastercave
i'm a newbie with a 55 gallon SW. my advice - go larger if you can! even with a 55g, i'm still worried my stocking plans are too much

Betty
I am wanting to get a small nano.. just big enough for a small fish.. and a small reef.. nothing over 12 gallons size.. ? any suggestions? Would it be cheaper to get a reg tank and do a saltwater?

Hello Steve, I have a 24 gal. Nano Reef. I love it, but I do miss my 55 I use to have. If you can IMO you should go as large as you can. Beleave me, you will want a bigger one once you get started. They are so much fun. Good Luck with your research, and check out some of our pics.hoto:

Rbacchiega
I started actually two reef tanks at once, a 10 gallon nano and a 90 gallon. Both were pretty easy to set up, and both are full reef systems. My 10 gallon is just an old fish tank, but I've just recently purchased a Oceanic 14 and am going to set that up tonight. There are certain fish that can thrive in a Nano, smaller gobies, firefish, smaller clown species etc. Either way, lots of TLC regardless of size.

Take Care, Randi

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
psalm18.2
Replies
Views
Stang Man
Replies
Views
Nart
Replies