How easy is it to keep live foods for fish?

Ssnaaiil

Hello, I am wondering how easy it is to keep live foods for fish…like some sort of small worms? I don’t know much about live foods so please enlighten me! Is there a risk of disease to the fish? What happens if I feed my fish live worms and they don’t eat them all, will the worms live in my tank? I don’t really like worms/insects so I’m hoping to find a way to feed my fish live foods without them getting all over the tank and staying alive in the tank. Like I said I’m completely new to live foods so please tell me anything and everything you know. Thanks so much

ForceTen

In the old days you could go into any pet store and get live brine shrimp. I do not see that any longer.
People have moved to frozen foods. I use frozen blood worms and brine shrimp. I drop the whole cube into the water and its gone in less than one minute.
However. You can easily have your own live brine shrimp.

Ssnaaiil

Frozen like kept in a freezer or freeze dried?

FishDan

I just used this stuff in the past small plastic bucket or toy aquarium and just drip feed them for about a week

Attachments

• 15A68DCC-6CE1-4D90-939F-4136AB3F27E1.png
    15A68DCC-6CE1-4D90-939F-4136AB3F27E1.png
    371.3 KB · Views: 15

Yeoy

What sort of fish are you feeding?

Frozen foods (black worms, mysis/brine shrimp etc...) are quite common. You keep them in the freezer, break off 1 small square at a time, briefly defrost in tankwater and feed. Most fish really enjoy it as a treat.

As far as live foods, I just started keeping grindal worms. They're a small worm. I have a thriving colony in 1 small plastic/takeaway container like you'd get Chinese food in. They're live so I just put them straight in the tank. They don't survive in the water for very long, so if the fish don't eat them they die and start to break down.

You don't want to overfeed for that reason, but if you have bottom-feeders (e.g. corydoras) or shrimp/snails they clean them up pretty quick.

I use a method I got off Youtube (Blake's Aquatics) where they grow in kitchen sponge so you don't need any dirt or anything. It doesn't smell at all and probably costs me about $2 a month to run the colony.

There's also blackworms, microworms, whiteworms, brine shrimp, vinegar eels, daphnia, infusoria and other live foods you can keep depending on what you're feeding. As well as aquatic shrimp and snails for bigger fish or puffers.

Most of them are pretty easy to keep, but you might have some trial and error at the start and lose some. You just need to find a starter culture in your local area. And some of them might smell a little so should be kept in the laundry or garage.

Hope that helps :)

ForceTen

I don't thaw the brine shrimp cubes. I drop a frozen cube in there and its gone in less than a minute.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
devsi
Replies
Views
Ghelfaire
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
  • Question
Replies