How easily can neon tetras breed

1. foresthall

foresthall Valued Member Member

I've had my neons for a couple of months. I got them when they were tiny. I have one that is pretty fat. It eats and schools with the others normally. Nothing abnormal other than a tiny brown dot on the side. I'm pretty sure it's always been there. Is it possible it just eats too much and is fat from the food or possibly going to lay eggs at some point? Please give me your thoughts. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1467073488.250807.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1467073501.733751.jpg

2. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Looks a bit bloated to me.

3. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

First Neons aren't live bearers, so would be eggs not babies. However I have 5 neons and one REALLY eats his food and his stomach will get a little pudgy but go down within a few hours.

As for breeding, everything I have read says they are fairly difficult to breed in the home aquarium. However that usually just means difficult to get fry...

What are your water parameters? ((I'm assuming 0,0, 20-40 but have to ask))

4. OP
    OP
    foresthall

Who said neons are livebearers? I said eggs. My parameters are fine 0,0,5. Not a new aquarium.

5. peregrine

Misread. Have been responding to a few about it, got yours and someone elses mixed up. Sorry.

Not sure if it's gravid, but it's not from over eating. Just curious ((not that I'm actually expecting you to know this)) When was the last time it pooped?

Side Note Nice low Nitrates.

6. OP
    OP
    foresthall

Haha no worries. No idea when it popped. I've never noticed that with any of the neons. I'm thinking about possibly fasting them for a day or two. See what happens. I've read it's really difficult to breed neons but you never know. Like I said everything is fine otherwise. No pineconing or anything.

7. peregrine

Yeah I would try fasting and possibly a blanched frozen deshelled pea after.

Everything I read about the breeding is that getting them to actually fertilize eggs is hardest. But my neons have never gone gravid.. I'm betting I got lucky and got all males..

8. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Glad to hear that nothing is wrong - my neons are such pigs! Always the first one up to the top of the tank on feeding days ( I feed my fish every other day )
    I do this for several reasons ( one for fasting between meals ) and the other for keeping the waste at a minimum.
    I've found that feeding every other day helps them not get as bloated.

9. OP
    OP
    foresthall

They sure do love to eat! I'll hold off on food for a couple days and see if there's any changes.