How Early Can You Sex Guppy Fry

kbbartel93

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What's the earliest you can sex guppy fry? We had a female die, apparently after giving birth (we didn't know she was pregnant when we bought her and she died within a week of us having her) so we caught the 5 babies we could find and put them in a 5 gallon. They're almost 2 weeks I'll now. I keep a close eye on them and like watching them so I notice the little changes in them. Out of 5 only 1 has a little black spot starting to form where her gravid spot would be as an adult. The 4 others that don't have this also have more black starting to show in their tails. Would it be safe to say that 4 are male and 1 is female?

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The gravid spot is an indicator of a female and the males also have a lot more color and longer, prettier tails

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Same situation here. I believe so, I have 3 males and 5 females, I'm going by the gravid spot for female and coloration for male. Sounds to me the same for you. Although a week old can be deceiving, mine are a month old but have been able to sex them for about two weeks or so. So by next week you should be able to be sure male and female

kbbartel93

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They'll be 2 weeks old on sunday. I've probably spent 10 or more hours watching them over the last almost 2 weeks lol, they're my babies. But if it holds true we have 4 males and 1 female. We recently lost our only female, because this is our first tank in 10 or so years and I didn't realize these **** little guys would stress a female to death by trying to get on her. So any males will be added to the community and the female will stay in the little tank. What is the smallest size tank 1 guppy can happily live in? Would she even be happy on her own or would she be better off with some female company? Because once my fry are too big to be eaten the plan was to use the 5 gallon as a quarantine for new fish. So I'd like to get another small set up for my female so the males don't harass her to death like my dearly departed female.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kbbartel93 said:
They'll be 2 weeks old on sunday. I've probably spent 10 or more hours watching them over the last almost 2 weeks lol, they're my babies. But if it holds true we have 4 males and 1 female. We recently lost our only female, because this is our first tank in 10 or so years and I didn't realize these **** little guys would stress a female to death by trying to get on her. So any males will be added to the community and the female will stay in the little tank. What is the smallest size tank 1 guppy can happily live in? Would she even be happy on her own or would she be better off with some female company? Because once my fry are too big to be eaten the plan was to use the 5 gallon as a quarantine for new fish. So I'd like to get another small set up for my female so the males don't harass her to death like my dearly departed female.
Yes either get more females then males for main tank or separate female, tank size for one guppy I would say 5 to 10 gallons will be fine, but she would probably enjoy some other females so I would go with a 10 gallon then when the babies are big enough put all females in with her and males in main tank.

Edit to add: if you ever want more simply put a male and female together for a day or so then separate and wait, once she is indeed pregers and ready to birth babies separate her on her own and once she finishes birthing put he back in ten gallon and enjoy more babies

kbbartel93

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Awesome, thanks! That's basically what we wanted to do. We don't want to breed them for a profit just some babies here n there so we can keep the population going, watch the babies grow, and stop buying fish just to have them infect our other fish because apparently the quality of care in the pet stores by us (even the non chain ones) is horrible.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ummm you can't just "keep the population going" with a couple of guppies because then they will start to inbreed and your fries will become weaker. Inbreeding is when the blood-related siblings breed with each other. It isn't recommended so you should add a new guppy once in a while.

kbbartel93

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We have 9 male guppies who are not related to the fry. If I picked up 2 females to keep the one I suspect to be a female company that'd be 9 that could breed with the 1 and the other 2 could breed with any of the males. I'd have to keep track of who has bred with who but there should be enough options for the risk of inbreeding to be minimal

kbbartel93

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Right. I mean it's not like I'll never buy a guppy again, I'd just like to have babies once or twice a year for the experience not only for us but for our 3 girls, and see what some of mine come out making. I guess you could call it more of a hobby? I don't want the mama's to get bred more than 2 or 3 times max each. If I see a healthy looking guppy I like I'm not gonna stop myself from picking it up but I don't want to solely rely on fish stores to fill my tank. If that makes sense

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom