How early can you sex bichirs?

1. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Hi guys. I have 2 baby bichirs that I just got on Monday, they are almost 2 inches long. I was curious on how early you are able to sex them?

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Bump!

Thanks!

Ken

3. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Thank you!!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. Anthony10 Member Member

I can offer no help as I've never kept them! But what size tank are they in? I love watching bichir and I would love to keep one!

-Anthony

5. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Right now they are in a 20 long, only because they are super tiny. but as they grow they will be put in my larger tanks. :) they are SUPER cute when they are babies and awesome as they grow. They have great personalities :)

6. Anthony10 Member Member

They are super cute, I have a baby culvier bichir at my lfs and I have been debating about getting him... Sadly, I have no room :(

-Anthony

7. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Yeaaa. You definitely need a lot of room. One of them has been week since I got it and Idk if he's going to make it. It's just they are so fragile when they are babies.

8. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

:(

9. spiffynid Initiate Member

I have no idea. I have two right now-one is about 6inches and the other is 3ish and I can't get them to sit still long enough to really look. I am fairly certain which ever gender they are they are the same.

10. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Ohh ok. I did some research and they are supposed to be able to be sexed around 6 to 8 inches. And the anal fin on the female will be thin. The males anal fin will be more squared off and thicker. Maybe that will help you :)