How does this stocking sound for a 20 gallon planted aquarium?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by EmmanuelJB, Apr 8, 2010.

1. EmmanuelJB

EmmanuelJB Valued Member Member

Heres what I want:
    8 Glowlight Tetras
    8 Neon Tetras
    4 Guppys
    4 Julli Corrys (or False Julli)
    1 Male Betta
    1 Pair of German Blue Rams
    1 Pair of killifish
    1 Rubber Pleco
    I know it seems like it would be VERY over stocked but alot of the fish (basically all of them) stay very small, and produce very little bioload. I thought that the fact that the tank would be planted would help a little.

Those are basically all of the fish I have wanted to put in other tanks, but it never worked, or other reasons stopped me from adding them.

Filters-
    1 Aqua Clear 50
    1 Rapids Mini Canister filter
    I want both purigen and chemi pure in one of the filters plus the regular media.

For the plants, I want Some Java Ferns, and Anubias nana, for sure. I also likes wisteria but don't know much about that plant so im not sure.

This is just a tank im looking at setting up, it definatley won't be any time soon, so I have tons of time to change what im going to do.

So how does the stocking sound? What would you change? What do you suggest for plants? Any other info/ comments would be Awsome!!

Oh, ya! I forgot I wanted to ask about substrate. I have wanted just plain white sand in a freshwater tank for a while, would this be ok?

2. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I think this is a really bad idea. I would not even consider doing it. You have to consider bioload AND swim space. Also, that male betta is probably going to freak out. It's bad enough for them just being in a community tank, but to be in one that is so severly overstocked? I think you are looking at a disaster.

3. OP
    OP
    EmmanuelJB

Really? I know the tank would be ptretty over stocked but no too bad.... I thought that the plants would help a little. I also thought the betta might be a problem... How would you change (keeping it similar to what I have)?

What do others think?

4. Meenu

The plants will help process some of the toxins, but I still think you have too much going on. The fish need space to swim, but they also need space to get away from each other.

Personally, I would get the cories, the tetras, and possibly the rams, and leave it at that. I don't know much about the rams, though, so I don't know if they need a 20g to themselves.

5. R

Rhan Well Known Member Member

Sorry but it does sound very very overstocked :(

Cories, including the false juliis I believe can reach almost 2, almost 3 inches. The thing is, they're usually sold at tiny inch cuties, without people realising they can get considerably bigger, not to mention they are a deeper-bodied fish.

I think the male betta could potentially be a very bad idea. Being with other fish increases their chances of having their own beautiful fins severely nipped, or them nipping and attacking others. I think the environment would also be too stressful for him, being so severly overstocked.

It depends which fish you are set on getting out of your list. I know you'd lvoe to have all of them (And I would too, you've picked some really cool fish), but are there any that you want more than others?

I would possibly go;
    1 school of tetras,
    1 small school cories,
    4 guppies,
    1 pair of rams or 1 pair of killifish.
    I think that would still be very well stocked, probably still a little over.

I know next to nothing about rams and killifish, so I could be quite wrong about my list. It's probably best to wait for input from other members, theres lots of people willing to help :)

6. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Here's what I would do:
    8 Glowlight Tetras
    8 Neon Tetras
    4 Julli Corys (or False Julli)
    1 Pair of German Blue Rams

IMO you're fully stocked at that point. :)

7. Meenu

Exactly what I was suggesting! Good to know that I wasn't completely off-base.

8. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Oooops, I was just skimming the other posts and totally missed that! Glad we are in agreement, lol. ;D

9. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I agree that this would be a bad idea. The Betta would definitley be a problem. At the very least the Killis would nip the fins very badly. Some Killis are outright predators & depending on which you chose they might well eat the Neons. The Rams really need 20gal with just a few surface dwelling fish. To have more bottom fish with Rams you need more than 20gal. Given the level of overstocking you would have lots of trouble maintining the high water quality the Rams demand as well.

I like the stocking suggestions the others have made.

10. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Wow, even I wouldn't try that. And that's all in a 20? :)

11. OP
    OP
    EmmanuelJB

No, none of those fish are in a 20 gallon yet. I might not even set up the tank, I was just looking at what I would put in a 20 gallon since I now have room for one. I don't know why people think that the killifish will be such a problem. They are a VERY peacefull fish, and if any thing, the other fish would be bothering them, not the other way around.

12. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Because not all Killis are peacefull. It depends on which specific ones you want to get. Ones like Golden Wonder (Aplocheilus Lineatus), Golden Pheasant (Aphyosemoin Sjoestedti), Ceylon Killi (Aplocheilus Dayi), Golden Panchax (Pachypanchax Playfairii) & Blue Gularis (Fundulopanchax Sjoestedti), are predators that will eat anything small enough to fit in thier mouths. (like Neon Tetras) Many of the peacefull ones arn't really suitable for a community aquarium either & really require a species tank. None of them are suitable for a highly stocked tank.

You could do Killis in a lightly stocked tank as long as they were the right sort of Killi with the right sort of tank mates. You would need to do lots of research first.

13. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

There are killis that are peaceful - the small ones. ive tried keeping them in a community tank and they were easily outcompeted for food. they are best kept with neons and shrimp IME.

my golden wonder killi eats full grown guppies. she tries to eat anything i put in the tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice