Experience
3 years
Stocking for a 60 gallon...

6 bosemanI rainbow fish
6 kuhlI loaches
4 mollies (1 male, 3 females)
1 small pleco
1 rabbit snail

78 F, pretty heavily planted, fluval 406, and a back up sponge filter, not sure what else you need.

Currently only have 4 bosemanI rainbow fish, 6 kuhlI loaches, and the pleco.

I like the idea of the mollies because they're bright (thinking of getting orange ones) and the fact that theirth live bearers. I think my kiddos will like watching them. I'm thinking the reaso rainbows will keep the population down.

What do you think? Will this be over stocked? Still under stocked? Will it look empty still? I would like an active community tank with lots of colour.

Thanks!

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is heavily stocked, but the Bosemanis should eat the molly fry and keep things balanced. If you plant heavily, that will help keep the water parameters good. If the molly fry don't get eaten, you'll need to take them out before they overwhelm the parameters.

SaltyPhone

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Heavily planted with a 406 you have plenty of room for stocking with that list. Add a few turquoise rainbows and that would be rad. Personally I’m not a fan of the glofish but I’ve been interested to see if the breed true to the genetic alterations or if you get some non glofish. Sounds like it will be fun either way you go!

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SaltyPhone said:
Heavily planted with a 406 you have plenty of room for stocking with that list. Add a few turquoise rainbows and that would be rad. Personally I’m not a fan of the glofish but I’ve been interested to see if the breed true to the genetic alterations or if you get some non glofish. Sounds like it will be fun either way you go!
I wouldn't do the turquoise rainbows because they can hybridize with the Bosemanis and produce some ugly offspring. I got some that way on the cheap because someone nearby kept different types of rainbows together.

OP
oOturquoiseOo

oOturquoiseOo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Honestly I doubt I could even find turquoise rainbows. I'm actually going to be lucky if I can get 2 more bosemanis to make it up to 6.

SaltyPhone

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Some Rainbows are easier to get a hold of than others. There are plenty of reputable online sellers though and a good lfs will be more than happy to order anything they may not stock. Don’t worry to much about mixing species though. To rear rainbow eggs to fry takes work; left alone in a community tank you are unlikely to see any fry make it.

Rainbows and Fishes

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would totally approve of that list as a keeper of bosemanI rainbows but I'd definitely cut the mollies because those things will out breed that aquarium even with fry predation. I'd also suggest that you try to go with an even ratio males to females or slightly more females with them. When you have majority male setups they can really harass the females. In an all male setup however they won't display their full color and behavior. I have a mixed school and never have had problems with hybridization, they eat their eggs too quickly.

OP
oOturquoiseOo

oOturquoiseOo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok...

Just a thought I had... What if I can see if the pet store will take the rainbows back and I get something completely different with the loaches and the pleco?

I originally wanted a big showcase fish and a smaller school. But, then my giant Angel died and I haven't been able to bring myself to get something to replace him

What are some bright, active fish that I can put in there together?

Temp 78 F
pH 7.6
Planted

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator