How does this sound 75 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Reel lady fishing, Jul 8, 2015.

1. R

Reel lady fishing Valued Member Member

I think I'm going to do 3 banjo catfish, 2 Raphael's, and a hoplo. Along with, 2 blue acaras, 2 rainbows, 3 fire mouths, 2 convict cichlid, 3 rams, 1 Laetacara. That will be all i think. And, do these fish sometimes breed in the tanks like African cichlids? And what do I feed these?

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

You will need to put your catfishes into groups of 6, they are schooling.

3. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Too many of the same kind of fish, in a tank that is not big enough. I would get a 180 gallon if this is the stock you want. Or get one of everything, and leave some of the cichlids out.

4. OP
    OP
    R

I could do the 3 rams, 3 fire mouths, 2 convicts, 1 acara, 1 rainbow cichlid, and 2 apistos along with my catfish

5. OP
    OP
    R

Thats 12 cichlids in a 75 gallon aquarium

6. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

With 6 bottom dwellers.

Rams, acara, rainbows and apistos are all fairly peaceful. Firemouths can be downright nasty for no reason. And convicts are hit and miss as well. Not to mention that firemouth and convicts will both breed in a bucket of water, and they can also breed with each other. So that's 5 fish that have the potential to become extremely aggressive if they spawn.

So, I would leave the dwarfs out completely if you want FM and Cons. And, I would still stick to singles. And I would also make sure your Con and FM are the same sex. Another thing, cichlids tend to stay at the bottom to mid level of the tank. Like your catfish.

Of what you listed, this is what I would do
    3 banjo
    1 raphael
    1 hoplo
    1 firemouth
    1 convict
    1 acara
    1 rainbow

Then I would have a single species of schooling fish. Tiger barbs or larger tetra is what I would get.

7. Aloeb1

Aloeb1 Valued Member Member

I don't think banjo catfish are schooling fish

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe not, but some catfish such as the pictus are.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice