How Does This 10 Gallon Stocking Idea Sound?

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
CHAMELEON_BREEZE said:
I live in Oahu, HI, and I wan't a Pygmy Cherub Angel for my 10 gallon FOWLR. Does anyone know where to find any?

I currently have one Occellaris Clown, one Blue/Green Chromis, and 5 Zebra Hermits.
A Pygmy Angel is definitely out for a 10 gallon tank. They are super active and will be ultra aggressive in a 10 gallon tank. You have to remember with a saltwater tank that it's not just about size but level of activity and even a Pygmy Angel needs at least 3 feet of horizontal swimming space (ideally 4 feet or more) to do well long term. A Possum or Pygmy Wrasse would be a good choice for your tank as would a small goby or firefish. Beyond that the 10 gallon tank is too small for any other saltwater fish for any length of time. Also keep in mind that 3 fish will technically be overstocked for a 10 gallon saltwater tank. The Bioload demands will be significant so you will need to be spot on with water changes, filter changes, cleaning, etc. to not have things go wrong.

OP
CHAMELEON_BREEZE

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon FOWLR. It currently houses 5 Zebra Hermits, one Occelaris Clown, and a Blue/Green Chromis. I'm thinking of getting one more fish for the tank, so I thought a Yellow Clown Goby will be a good idea, as they are good for nano tanks. I live in Oahu, HI, and I don't know where to find these guys.

Which stores on the island usually sell these fish?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think we have many members from there. I would look up what fish stores are close to you and start calling them till you find what your after.

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That will be a heavy bioload for a 10 gallon tank. 2 fish is considered best for a tank of that size. That said, there are a number of reports that people have difficulty getting the Yellow Clown Goby to eat. More people have reported success with the Green Clown Goby, so I would recommend it if you have to have another fish. No idea about where to buy them in Hawaii. I'm not sure if we have someone else here who is from there who can recommend a place for you.

OP
CHAMELEON_BREEZE

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Reaction score
As I think about re-homing my Occelaris Clown and Chromis (who are having a conflict with each other), I'm wondering how this stocking idea sounds.

Inverts/Corals:
Zoanthids (currently have, unknown species)
6 small Zebra Hermits (currently have)
4 small Trochus Snails (currently have)
Any Reef Safe, Nano Shrimp

Fish:
Green Coral Goby
Pink Streaked Wrasse (maybe)
Red Firefish

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes definitely rehome the clown and chromis. Imo neither of those should be in a 10 and chromis get huge and are incredibly mean. The stocking you've suggested sounds great! I will say, don't worry about "overstocking" on coral. No such thing seriously though, they don't add to your bioload, in fact, corals will use up nutrients in your tank. I have to dose nitrogen (nitrates) in my tank even though its fairly heavily stocked.

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Looks good, but 3 fish will be a very heavy bioload for a 10 gallon so you will definitely have to stay on top of your testing, water changes and be really careful about not overfeeding. Out of curiosity which light are you using for the corals in your tank? Zoanthids can be finicky.

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Not the best for growing coral, but for a small, shallow tank (ie standard 10 gallon) it will probably do okay.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom