How does one "Ship" a Jack Dempsey?

Discussion in 'Jack Dempsey' started by blueiristyson, Apr 2, 2010.

1. blueiristyson

blueiristyson Valued Member Member

I heard that you can ship a fish to another state and was wondering how this is done.. I would never ship a fish because I would worry the whole time. Can anyone explain this process to me?

Has anyone here ever did this?, if so, How did it turn out. Thanks to all that contribute. :;f

2. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Yes, you can. I, personally, haven't shipped a fish before, but I know many who have.

PM harpua2002 or REDKAHUNA and ask them.

All I know is that is is preferrable to pack fish in Kordon's Breather Bags, which allow diffusion of oxygen and CO2. Insulation and heat packs are a must, as temperatures could fluctuate pretty badly. Normally, UPS Priority is used to ship.

3. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Hehe, I haven't shipped fish yet Elodea! :p

But, I think I will reserve the breather bags for shrimp and other inverts. With our LLC in place, we are looking to get an O2 tank so we can shoot some O2 into our shipping bags. This helps A TON in my experience. When I moved in with my now-husband, my fish were bagged for about 20 hours and moved 440 miles with no issues.

Overnight is the most common method of shipment that guarantees live arrival. Most sellers do not do so when shipping Priority, but it saves the buyer a ton of money so it's a trade-off. :)

4. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Shhhhh you're not supposed to tell us! :whistling: You still know how to ship, right?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  5. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, I do know how to ship fish. It just hasn't come up yet before the fishroom, lol. :p

6. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNA Valued Member Member

I ship 150 + boxes of cories a year with little or no trouble at all through USPS Priority mail.

The amount of fish determines how to ship. I think most smaller fish guppies endlers or young fish cories platties angels and others are easiest to ship.

I pack fish 2 per bag for juvinile cories each bag containing approx. 3 ounces of water. The ratio of water to air needs to be around 40 / 60 mine is closer to 30/70. The fish breath air so you need to have room to exchange gases etc..

I put them in an insulated box, if necessary add a heat pack and send them down the road with no regrets or fear at all.

I gaurantee live arrival of great cories to your door with the post office if delivered in 3 days. I have had cories last 12 days in there bags due to mistakes with peoples addresses.

Its just like anything else if you care add a little love with the technologe and things tend to go great. I have kept a total of how many fish have died that I have shipped. I have shipped 800 + boxes of fish in my 5 years of shipping around 8 average per box and have lost a total of 53 fish.

7. OP
    OP
    blueiristyson

blueiristyson Valued Member Member

Thanks RedKahuna... I didnt think I was ever gonna get an answer until you posted. Thanks

8. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNA Valued Member Member

Chance for a commercial. LOL!! You are very welcome any more questions about it feel free to PM me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice