How does not shocking fish from store to qt work?

Nickguy5467

im wondering if this has been my problem, i always eventually end up with like 15% of the fish i purchased after a few days in my qt tank.

is this an issue with ph shock maybe? i mean i temp acclimate them, but i dont really know how to ph acclimate them since they are in a dirty bag.

i generally would just temp acclimate them for like 20 min then cut the back over the sink and a net and then xfer them to my much more clean qt tank..

thoughts? thank you

i posted before about the 3 of the 10 cards i bought , they are in my tank and fine. so thats nice

i may have posted this in the wrong place T_T i suck at that . sorry

ASquidabs0727

could be ph shock yes. although lots of fish come already sick ): you can try and do drip acclimation next time, there’s good videos on youtube on it but essentially you just need some airline tubing

BigManAquatics

I haven't had problems with such things, only ever temp acclinate. Course, i often get busy and forget so acclimation usually ends up being close to an hour.

Nopsu

I've only ever done the temp match -> open the bag into net over sink-> into qt myself. But my local LFS has same water source and the trip is not long..
Sometimes fish in transit may already be sick like suggested and some fish are more sensitive than others. Do you keep them in dark to calm as well?

Nickguy5467

I've only ever done the temp match -> open the bag into net over sink-> into qt myself. But my local LFS has same water source and the trip is not long..
Sometimes fish in transit may already be sick like suggested and some fish are more sensitive than others. Do you keep them in dark to calm as well?
well. there is no light on my qt tank and the only light thats on is from my other tank. i guess so then? i just assumed that the jump from dirty lfs group water so quickly freaked them out or something, guess im just unlucky

wateriswet

If you're using a quarantine tank, it probably doesn't matter if you get store water in your tank. Something you could do if you want to avoid that is rinse the outside of the bag off under sink water then float the bag in your qt tank for 5 min. After that, open the bag and add a small amount of water from your tank into the bag. I use a disposable Dixie cup that is only a few ounces to add water. Wait 5 min then add another cup full of tank water to the bag. Wait 5 min and repeat until the bag has at least 50% tank water in it. Then you can net the fish and drop them in.

If you're doing shrimp or anything really sensitive, I'll drain most of the bag water once it's full and repeat adding tank water and waiting until I've filled the bag twice.

Drip acclimating works but I always worry about forgetting about it and draining my whole tank on accident

Nickguy5467

If you're using a quarantine tank, it probably doesn't matter if you get store water in your tank. Something you could do if you want to avoid that is rinse the outside of the bag off under sink water then float the bag in your qt tank for 5 min. After that, open the bag and add a small amount of water from your tank into the bag. I use a disposable Dixie cup that is only a few ounces to add water. Wait 5 min then add another cup full of tank water to the bag. Wait 5 min and repeat until the bag has at least 50% tank water in it. Then you can net the fish and drop them in.

If you're doing shrimp or anything really sensitive, I'll drain most of the bag water once it's full and repeat adding tank water and waiting until I've filled the bag twice.

Drip acclimating works but I always worry about forgetting about it and draining my whole tank on accident
i drip acclimate from my main tank to my qt tank using a turkey baster. i dont know if i need to do that but i do it anyway. never tried that from bag though. interesting

wateriswet

i drip acclimate from my main tank to my qt tank using a turkey baster. i dont know if i need to do that but i do it anyway. never tried that from bag though. interesting
That would work! I've just seen the videos of people making a siphon with airline tubing and always thought to myself that I can't be trusted to not forget about it. The good thing about manually adding water with a cup of turkey baster is that it won't flood if you forget about it for a little while

Nickguy5467

That would work! I've just seen the videos of people making a siphon with airline tubing and always thought to myself that I can't be trusted to not forget about it. The good thing about manually adding water with a cup of turkey baster is that it won't flood if you forget about it for a little while
funny you mention that i forgot i was doing a wc 2 weeks ago and i think it flooded for like 10 minutes. i live upstairs..... lul . maybe i should just buy fish in small groups like 3 or 5 and not like 10. at least it wouldnt be that much of a hit if im unlucky again.

what exactly do i have to worry about with bag water? just a bunch of fish peeing themself etc right? couldnt i just water change that? ive thought about just dumping the bag in my qt tank but its a 20g and the bag would hardly fill any of it. so i figure that would just defeat the purpose since it would be mostly qt side only water anyway

John58ford

When I buy fish locally I do the acclimation in the bag too, similar to above; I use a paperclip and clip the open bag inside the qt tank just above the water line. Suck out a turkey baster of water and dump it into my dirty water bucket, then add a baster from the tank. I usually do a full baster every 15-20 minutes over a few hours (if required). I also have a strange practice of taking a small empty jar with me and will typically bring home a water sample and run my full panel on it. If it already is +/-.5 pH and similair to my tank prep, they get plop and dropped. Temp while sealed then plop and drop is my go-to method on shipped fish anyhow and it has a pretty good record, near 100%.

Your issue really might be sick stock, especially if you are only getting 15%, and it's mostly from the same store. Some really busy fish stores turn over stock so fast they go months without knowing they had a problem. My busiest LFS gave me an I.O.U. like 3 months after a couple batches of sick fish when they finally crunched the numbers on dead returns (not just from me but everyone that bought out of a certain bank of tanks).

Nickguy5467

When I buy fish locally I do the acclimation in the bag too, similar to above; I use a paperclip and clip the open bag inside the qt tank just above the water line. Suck out a turkey baster of water and dump it into my dirty water bucket, then add a baster from the tank. I usually do a full baster every 15-20 minutes over a few hours (if required). I also have a strange practice of taking a small empty jar with me and will typically bring home a water sample and run my full panel on it. If it already is +/-.5 pH and similair to my tank prep, they get plop and dropped. Temp while sealed then plop and drop is my go-to method on shipped fish anyhow and it has a pretty good record, near 100%.

Your issue really might be sick stock, especially if you are only getting 15%, and it's mostly from the same store. Some really busy fish stores turn over stock so fast they go months without knowing they had a problem. My busiest LFS gave me an I.O.U. like 3 months after a couple batches of sick fish when they finally crunched the numbers on dead returns (not just from me but everyone that bought out of a certain bank of tanks).
yeah i forget what my lfs policy is. i feel like it is one of those bring the dead fish in things, ill have to ask next time . but i dont drive and i have to wait for who drives me to be available and im not about to harbor dead fish for weeks. so there goes that T_T

John58ford

yeah i forget what my lfs policy is. i feel like it is one of those bring the dead fish in things, ill have to ask next time . but i dont drive and i have to wait for who drives me to be available and im not about to harbor dead fish for weeks. so there goes that T_T
Yeah they all have a different policy. The chain stores here will take a dead fish + water sample 3 days later. The LFS usually only wants to see one specimen and a water sample within a week of purchase (if you buy a school etc) and then will go on the honor system. They realize that in the local market word of mouth and reviews are better than making you keep a half dozen dead tetra in the fridge while you wait for the rest to die off so you can go get a store credit. Not all the LFS are like that though.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lady Monster
Replies
Views
Aquarist
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
Replies
Views