how does it work

1. kribensis keeper Member Member

i went to my local aqarium store and told him that my kribensis babies were getting sucked up and he gave me a sponge filter and i was woundering how sponge filters work as i have never worked with sponge filters

2. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

The air traveling up the big lift tube, pushes water out the top. Water is then drawn in thru the sponge for the bacteria to clean and the cleaned water is pulled and pushed back up thru the lift tube.

I'm assuming you have an air pump!!! If not you need to get one.
    Be sure the lift tube is also under water.

Fish fry also like to feed on and around the sponge..it also gets colonies of infesoria growning on it

3. kribensis keeper Member Member

thank you

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. Another option would be to add a sponge to the intake tube on the filter you are currently using. Slice an x in the sponge and just slide it over the tube.
    Ken

5. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Good idea Ken, but will depend on the force of the external filter...if the fry are small it could hold them against the sponge. (of course I'm a fan of sponge filters!!!)

Any fry I have had, learn to hang around and feed at the sponges, and the standard bubbbler ones are very gentle but work well. Although they are gentle and rely on the amount of bubble flow (adjustable at the airpump) they have a huge amount of bio capabilities.

Good add-on for all filters for added bacteria cultures.

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks Ted. I see your point!
    Ken

7. kribensis keeper Member Member

my normal fislter is quite strong