How does "high" water changes per week affect plants?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by 1611mac, Aug 13, 2015.

1. 1611macValued MemberMember

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  2. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

I don't think it affects plants much, If I'm not mistaken, doing water changes replaces the extra nutrients that plants use. I do 50% water changes on all my planted tanks weekly with no problems. I just dose my ferts after the water change.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. 1611macValued MemberMember

Thanks for the reply... funny.. I'm been reading books and articles on the "planted Aquarium" and I don't recall reading anything about the relationship of plants/water changes. So it must not be a big deal as you say...

4. DTurnerValued MemberMember

Hey 1611mac, so as aquaticbrandon stated ferts can be added after the water change.

Most times your dosing every other day or at least twice a week so you don't have to worry about wasting your fertilizers.

I do 25% water changed twice a week and that seems to be fine. As far as what can be done with a planted tank, there are some who do water changes every other month or longer in between. This is due to the fact that the plants use any nutrients that would be removed by a water change and harm fish in large quantities.

If you are lightly planted you will want to do water changes to keep some excess nutrients in check.

And no you don't have to choose between healthy fish and healthy plants. I'm sure in your research you will hear people talking about finding the right balance for your tank. As every tank is different there isn't a set balance point but there can be harmony with the fish and plants.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. 1611macValued MemberMember

DTurner...
    Nice helpful response. Thank you.

6. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Check out EI dosing for planted aquariums.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice