How Does Everyone Feed Frozen Cubes To There Fish?

minicupracer1

Valued Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen so many people saying to defrost them, just throw it in, rinse them, break them up, so I’m wondering what everyone’s else does. I feel like rinsing it would throw so much of the nutrients down the drain. I’m getting a variety pack with all these different vitimins and other stuff so I don’t want to just throw that all down the drain.
IMG_5252.jpg

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I take a cup of water (mine is well water, so I don't treat it.) Then I add enough various food cubes for my sundry tanks. When it thaws enough to distribute, I use a tablespoon to distribute into the tanks.

matt 63

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
minicupracer1 said:
I’ve seen so many people saying to defrost them, just throw it in, rinse them, break them up, so I’m wondering what everyone’s else does. I feel like rinsing it would throw so much of the nutrients down the drain. I’m getting a variety pack with all these different vitimins and other stuff so I don’t want to just throw that all down the drain. View attachment 434603
I cut them up and throw them in there

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Some cubes are meant to be defrosted, others specifically state “do not thaw before adding”... just be sure to read the box.

Laxin10

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Take a plastic cup of tank water, then drop the cube in. Take a "turkey baster" and use that like a syringe to individually portion/feed whatever fish need it the most. I found that to usually be the most effective method.

hope it helps

minicupracer1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Laxin10 said:
Take a plastic cup of tank water, then drop the cube in. Take a "turkey baster" and use that like a syringe to individually portion/feed whatever fish need it the most. I found that to usually be the most effective method.

hope it helps
That sounds like a good way to make sure everyone gets some. And almost a more intimate way of feeding them also.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use tank water to thaw my bloodworms (it's just bloodworms, not a mixture). I used a feeding syringe to then add them to the tank so I could control how much went into each tank (I was feeding small tanks as well as my goldfish tank). It was a lot of fun feeding the goldfish. They decided it was like a pez dispenser and would swarm around the tip waiting for it to dispense a worm.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Laxin10 said:

hope it helps
I do this but I need 3-5 frozen cubes for all my tanks. I usually mix bloodworms and brine shrimp. I sit the cup on top of my LED light that gets very warm and it defrosts in a few mins.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My Jaguar cichlid will eat an entire cube in about 45-60 seconds. He’s the only fish in there and if I thaw it he has to go all over the tank picking up single worms. I just throw the cube in there and he eats it as it thaws. But I can totally understand why thawing it would make sense for multiple tanks/fish.

skar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've done both ways Frozen and thawing out first. I really don't think it matters much.

But... I have a plastic cup dedicated to the tank. I use a 10cc syringe and use tank water in the cup.
Half a cube of food is stirred up in the cup; then I administer it with the syringe.

I have one tank and I do use beef heart frozen without the thaw.

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've heard that feeding foods that are still frozen can be dangerous because of the possibility of the fish swallowing a sharp ice crystal and being injured by it. I personally just don't want all that extra gross juice polluting my tanks, so I thaw them in a little cup and then drain the liquid off and feed the fish off a small spoon.

bigdreams

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I stay away from the mixes (Emerald Entree etc) and only feed baby brine shrimp, mysis, etc cubes. I read somewhere that the frozen liquid in the cube isn't good for your tank, so I have gotten very anal about it. I have a couple of strainers of different sizes. I strain the frozen food as it defrosts using tap water then rinse with tank water or garlic guard and feed to the tank. Might be overkill but it feels "right" to me.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom