How does an under gravel filter work?

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a friend who bought a round 3 gallon tank from walmart and it has an under gravel filter with no other way to attach any other type of filter.(at least that I can tell) My question is how does the current filter work and how do you maintain it, or is there some other way to filter it?

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
well there is a little bit of debate on exactly how water gets forced up the lift tubes, but basically an airstone is attached to an air pump and put at the bottom of the tube, the bubbles force air up the tubes, thus drawing water through the gravel so it gets filtered. Sponge filters work on the same principle but they are easier to clean and maintain, UGF's can be quite a hassle. Also you might be able to fit a small whisper filter into the tank and that would do an even better job of filtering, those also work off an airpump.

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do the small whispers need to attach with sucker cups or something else, cause it doesn't have a flat surface? I assume you still siphon the gravel with water changes, but how do you get the debris from getting under the gravel filter and if so how do you get to it? Thanks for the help.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The whispers do need room to hang as far as I know. The penn plax small worlds filter may work if you don't have any edge to hang anything on.

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
the only edge would be on the under gravel tube in the middle, do you think it would work?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
In a smaller tank, you're less likely to have problems with the UGFs. Basically, every once in awhile, do an extremely deep clean on half of the gravel. This will help keep the garbage out of the UGF.

Normally, I would suggest attaching a powerhead to a UGF, but in an aquarium that small, it would likely create far too much current (not to mention, take up a lot of space).

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is it a Bio-logical filter or mechanical, UGF confuse me I've never dealt with one before?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Primarily biological, but it's also sort of mechanical. The water flow causes the gravel to catch waste (which it will likely do anyway), where it can be vacced out.

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
+1 - Thanks for the advice.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads