How does a Marino moss ball grow?

Skrabbitskrabbit

Sorry, typo in thread title
Can you make a Marimo moss ball grow? How does it grow?
A while ago I saw the video on how to propagate them and decided to try it on mine (only had 1..) but since then, all I have is two torn looking half circles that never really grew back into ball shape or ever grew at all really. So do they grow? Mine is in a 10gallon with a betta and nerite and I have 3 other types of plants that are all growing.

BigManAquatics

Very slowly they grow.

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Well, Marimos grow pretty slow.. I read once that it took about 15 years to grow to 11 inches.

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

They grow very slowly and you are suppose to rotate them so they grow evenly.

Upvote 0

Skrabbitskrabbit

They grow very slowly and you are suppose to rotate them so they grow evenly.
Okay this makes sense since I never put the haggard looking side facing up. Will try.

Side thought- I wonder if a root tab or some fertilizer inserted in it would be a good or bad idea...

Upvote 0

Madchild57

Okay this makes sense since I never put the haggard looking side facing up. Will try.

Side thought- I wonder if a root tab or some fertilizer inserted in it would be a good or bad idea...
probably a liquid fert, I wouldn't trust an entire root tab to not just spray into the water and cause an algal bloom.

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

Since moss doesn't really have roots it feeds directly from the water column so a root tab isn't necessary.

Upvote 0

Fisch

I have seen a little clip where you take them out, and roll them into ball shape.
Not perfect but better than having haggard pieces floating around.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
smee82
Replies
Views
Thunder_o_b
  • Question
Replies
Views
Zach72202