How do your Ottos find Algae Wafer?

PAcanis

I found a dead Otto in my tank today :(
He didn't seem skinny. Certainly not as skinny as one hanging on the glass right now. I was able to find four out of the five I have left, but it's not easy. After their first few days in my tank they rarely hang out together.

So just in case it was a food issue, I added an algae wafer I bought last week. The diatoms are pretty much all cleaned up.
So the question is, Are they going to find the wafer? They do not travel to feeding frenzies like the other fish do.
And how long do you leave algae wafers in the tank? I'm assuming it would be the same as overfeeding flake.

It didn't take long for the Panda Corys to find it.

Panda Corys and wafer.JPG

CHJ

The few times I have thrown a wafer in with the ottos they ignored it. Regular otto, zebra otto, and Parotocinclus (britskii). I haven't tried giants and the LFS only got greens in only once, long ago.
My ottos just feed off the glass. I saw one on a zuch once or twice.
I look at ottos as a fish that requires tank prep. Let algae grow thick for months before adding ottos. Then only clean the front glass. I also like them in a tank big enough to have lots of glass surface area.
Others may have had better luck with waffers. Even fish that should eat waffers often don't for me. Possibly they are used to zuchs and will just wait for those to come back.

I do not keep water params at a good point for britskii. They seem to truly need "pristine" conditions. I was able to keep one for ~18 months until the natans nuked the tank.

I still keep hoping the LFS gets greens in again. It would be good to have something in the bedroom tank that will be happy with no heater. I'd shut down the bronze machine for some green ottos.
Oh, in hind site, that would have been a good tank for the red squirrel loaches.

PAcanis

Thanks CHJ
Even my Flame Gourami is picking at it now.

I just don't want them to starve. No algae in the tank to speak of. I bought them for the diatom problem I was having, which they performed well.
They never seem to hunt for food. When they are on the glass they hang out in the same spot for quite a while.

CHJ

I had forgotten that my 55g that has ottos in it, has ottos in it. They blend into the back algae. They have been there for years and years and years.

PAcanis

The algae wafer is gone between the Corys and Gourami.
And the Ottos got nothing.
I tried.

SotaAquatics

My otos really like zucchini or cucumber slices. Never tried algae wafers with them.

PAcanis

My otos really like zucchini or cucumber slices. Never tried algae wafers with them.

Do they seek it out when you put it in the water?
I think if my Ottos had noticed the wafer they might have eaten some, but there was such a frenzy going on with the Corys and then my Gourami they may have avoided it anyway.
Or maybe they aren't hungry. Maybe that one just died.

SotaAquatics

They are able to find it, I clip it in the same spot to help get them conditioned to same area for eating. The thing I like about it is it lasts longer... unlike a wafer getting ripped apart by more aggressive fish. I usually put it in right before lights out too to help avoid everyone else picking at it as much.

PAcanis

They are able to find it, I clip it in the same spot to help get them conditioned to same area for eating. The thing I like about it is it lasts longer... unlike a wafer getting ripped apart by more aggressive fish. I usually put it in right before lights out too to help avoid everyone else picking at it as much.

Thanks for the tip!
I'm going to give this a try. Just as soon as I get a suction cup with a clip on it (I think I've seen those before) and a zucchini.

ETA, I don't need eight of these. I remember them now when I had SW and used to feed dry seaweed.
I'm sure I have an extra pair of heater suction cups. I can use one and impale the slice onto it.

SotaAquatics

Yeah, exactly what I use - the seaweed clips. Could always jus use a stainless steel fork, if you blanch it as well long enough it will sink but could moved around by your other more active fish.

StarGirl

I have heard of people putting a large-ish stone in a jar of tank water and growing algae in a window with good sunlight. Then just swap them out.

John58ford

Whenever I've had Otto's that won't find/eat a wafer, I break one into chunks and soak it in a shot glass for an hour, then dump it in when it's all soft. This works better with some brands than others, also, the last batch I bought wouldn't touch the hikari wafers, but went after the tetra wafers very quickly.

MacZ

Whenever I've had Otto's that won't find/eat a wafer, I break one into chunks and soak it in a shot glass for an hour, then dump it in when it's all soft. This works better with some brands than others, also, the last batch I bought wouldn't touch the hikari wafers, but went after the tetra wafers very quickly.
The trick is the stuff then covers surfaces, which is close enough to simulating aufwuchs. Same can be done with frozen cyclops and bba and with Bacter AE.

PAcanis

I have heard of people putting a large-ish stone in a jar of tank water and growing algae in a window with good sunlight. Then just swap them out.

That's a pretty nifty idea.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Yeoy
Replies
Views
GenF211
  • Question
Replies
Views