How do you use Seachem Prime?

Dotfish

Hello, everyone! I've been trying to revive my ten gallon tank, so I got some Prime. How do I use it? It says to use one capful for 50 gallons, should I just guess where a fifth of the cap is? Also, how should I put it in, just dump it straight into the tank? Should I add it to the water when I do water changes... it seems really annoying to try to guess where even less than a fifth of the cap is. How should I do this?!

MoshJosh

Well Known
Shaken with an olive (this was a joke, do not drink prime)

But on the real I use 1/2 - 2/3 the recommended amount. My tap isn’t super high in chlorine and chloramines. . . as far as I know. . . I guess dechlorinators also deoxygenate the water so I try and use only what I need (but some of my “calculations” are guess work/trial an error). . .

depends on the source water

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
FishGirl115 said:
Actually just checked again. Less then $3 for 100ml bottle at the moment
I told my fish guy at Petco that amazon had the 500ml bottle for 18...i think he ordered a bottle for personal use right there in the store lol!!

FishPatrol

I use these little droppers -
Droppers
They’re super cheap and if you’re the type that doesn’t like to guess, they make it really easy. Plus you can use a sharpie if you want and label them for various products/fish medicines so they can have a dedicated dispenser.

OP
Dotfish

Dotfish

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Yes, also it essentially neutralizes ammonia for about 24 hrs or so. Which definitely makes it attractive for fish-in cycles
Aaaaaaaaaaaaand it detoxifies heavy metals.
I have well water, so I hadn't been using any conditioner in my water and all my fish died.
Since there isn't any chlorine (hopefully!) in my water, should I try using less than a normal dose? Droppers sound perfect, I'll see if I can get one. Thank you everyone for the super quick responses!

Kjeldsen

Well Known
I use it as a dechlor at 2 drops per gallon. It's more concentrated but essentially sodium thiosulfate, like most chloramine removers. They work by breaking the bond of chloramine into chlorine + ammonia. If they didn't also have additives for reducing ammonia, you'd see an ammonia spike from all the other dechlors. There's nothing particularly special about it, despite SeaChem's claims.

"Most commercial chloramine removers have additives for reducing ammonia toxicity."
Noga, Edward J.. Fish Disease: Diagnosis and Treatment (Kindle Locations 10823-10826).

deadhead

2 drops per gallon for me as well. I use an eye dropper. 1 bottle will last a very very long time so no it isn't expensive at all.

Tol

Well Known
I got a bunch of inexpensive syringes from amazon and use those to measure any fish stuff like prime, flourish,, etc... A cap full is about 5ml, so 1 ml per gallon basically.

AvalancheDave

Well Known
MoshJosh said:
But on the real I use 1/2 - 2/3 the recommended amount. My tap isn’t super high in chlorine and chloramines. . . as far as I know. . . I guess dechlorinators also deoxygenate the water so I try and use only what I need (but some of my “calculations” are guess work/trial an error). . .
Prime doesn't deoxygenate water. I doubt other dechlorinators do either especially at or near their recommended doses. Prime doesn't have much of margin of safety for underdosing so I wouldn't recommend it.

Tunaboy said:
Why does everyone recommend Seachem Prime?
Marketing.

Nickguy5467 said:
I use Seachem Safe instead of Prime. huge money saver imo.
It's only 3 times cheaper than Prime once you correct for dosage. The recommended dose of Prime neutralizes 6.2 times more than that of Safe.

MoshJosh

Well Known
Admittedly I’m no chemist, I started using less after watching:

and the limited reading I’ve done indicates Sulfites react with dissolved oxygen, lowering dissolved oxygen levels.

again, I’m no chemist so if this is incorrect or negligible/non applicable to the aquarium hobby then I stand corrected and I would be interested in learning more.

Flyfisha

Well Known
I feel I should point out that the lids on prime bottles are different sizes . The 100 ml bottle lid is considerably smaller than the 1000 ml bottle lid.

Best price in town $60 Australian a litre . I measure exactly with a hypodermic syringe but add a tiny bit extra only.

AvalancheDave

Well Known
MoshJosh said:
Admittedly I’m no chemist, I started using less after watching:

and the limited reading I’ve done indicates Sulfites react with dissolved oxygen, lowering dissolved oxygen levels.

again, I’m no chemist so if this is incorrect or negligible/non applicable to the aquarium hobby then I stand corrected and I would be interested in learning more.
Well, unlike him I actually measured it. I put 40 mL of Prime in a 10 gal tank. Dissolved oxygen levels barely budged then recovered shortly thereafter.

Doom

You could measure how much liquid is in the capful. Then do your calculation for a 1/10th or what you need of the cap/gallons. I personally guess but I have good eyes and I prefer to put less than too much.

MoshJosh

Well Known
AvalancheDave said:
Well, unlike him I actually measured it. I put 40 mL of Prime in a 10 gal tank. Dissolved oxygen levels barely budged then recovered shortly thereafter.
Wow, thats crazy! Like 40x the recommended dose? And still no effect? Were there fish in the tank when you tested? If so any noticeable effect on them?

WrenFeenix

Well Known
I use a 1mL syringe; easy to use and very accurate. 1mL treats 10 gallons, so 0.1mL treats 1 gallon.
Prime does tend to degrade the syringe after a while, but since I get them for free from the drug store (just ask the pharmacist), I could care less.

I’ve found that Prime is the most cost-effective liquid conditioner (I’d only use Safe for big tanks).
Betta'sAnonymous said:
I told my fish guy at Petco that amazon had the 500ml bottle for 18...i think he ordered a bottle for personal use right there in the store lol!!
Lol, I’ve found 500mL of Prime (2x 250mL bottles) for $12 on Amazon. Super-duper cheap!

OP
Dotfish

Dotfish

So it also dissolves the oxygen... I think I'll use it during water changes and leave my water level a little low, (my filter makes TONS of bubbles if the water is low) and leave it like that for a couple hours to replenish the oxygen.

Doom

Live plants are great for oxygen too. You could add more if you don't have some, it does the job to detoxify and oxygenate the water. I have Hornworts and rosaefolia in mine.

OP
Dotfish

Dotfish

Doom said:
Live plants are great for oxygen too. You could add more if you don't have some, it does the job to detoxify and oxygenate the water. I have Hornworts and rosaefolia in mine.
I have a couple java fern. I have gravel that isn't suitable for rooting plants, so I'm thinking of getting some sort of easy floating type. I tried hornwart, but it all just died.

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Btw, sometimes Prime develops black specks in it, but shaking it dissolves them. Shake Prime by wiggling it side to side, not up and down. Shaking it up and down will make it leak everywhere and wherever you are will smell like an open sewer.

Prime has sodium thiosulfate in it.

OP
Dotfish

Dotfish

WrenFeenix said:
Btw, sometimes Prime develops black specks in it, but shaking it dissolves them. Shake Prime by wiggling it side to side, not up and down. Shaking it up and down will make it leak everywhere and wherever you are will smell like an open sewer.
Wow! I don't want an open sewer smelling bathroom! :yuck: Thank you! :D

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Dotfish said:
Wow! I don't want an open sewer smelling bathroom! :yuck: Thank you! :D
Yeah, especially if you have housemates who will not believe you if you try to explain the source of the smell.

Bottles of Prime get pretty ripe over time.
Good thing is that Prime-odor does not linger.

AvalancheDave

Well Known
WrenFeenix said:

Prime has sodium thiosulfate in it.
Nobody knows what's in Prime but I'm pretty sure it's not thiosulfate.

Interesting that those specks dissolve when shaken. I've always wondered about that. I also wonder if Prime (and other dechlorinators) are at the limits of their solubility in water. Dechlorinating agents that are more soluble in water have more potential to be "concentrated."

CHJ

Well Known
I have a fifty some gallon plastic garbage can beside my basement sink. I fill it with water and then prime it and let it sit. This allows me to do water changes with a pump, just drop it in the garbage can and run its hose to a tank.

WrenFeenix

Well Known
AvalancheDave said:
Nobody knows what's in Prime but I'm pretty sure it's not thiosulfate.

Interesting that those specks dissolve when shaken. I've always wondered about that. I also wonder if Prime (and other dechlorinators) are at the limits of their solubility in water. Dechlorinating agents that are more soluble in water have more potential to be "concentrated."
I don’t know for sure, but it smells exactly like sodium thiosulfate when it gets wet (it has a very strong, non-lingering sulfur odor despite the amount). Sodium thiosulfate also has properties and characteristics like Prime, like only a tiny amount is needed to treat a lot of water. Prime seems to be diluted, since 1/4 cup of sodium thiosulfate treats over 1,000 gallons of water. That’s why I think it’s part of Prime’s formula.
It definitely has sulfur of some sort in it.

I’ve noticed that the black specks tend to precipitate out when the bottle of Prime is a year or older. Could be it’s supersaturated, and certain components of the formula crystallize or something over time.

Tallen78

Dotfish said:
Hello, everyone! I've been trying to revive my ten gallon tank, so I got some Prime. How do I use it? It says to use one capful for 50 gallons, should I just guess where a fifth of the cap is? Also, how should I put it in, just dump it straight into the tank? Should I add it to the water when I do water changes... it seems really annoying to try to guess where even less than a fifth of the cap is. How should I do this?!
Dotfish said:
The threads on the cap each one is a ml the cap is 5 ml if ur cap has a dropper it’s only 1-2 drops or fill the cap to the first thread

AvalancheDave

Well Known
WrenFeenix said:
I don’t know for sure, but it smells exactly like sodium thiosulfate when it gets wet (it has a very strong, non-lingering sulfur odor despite the amount). Sodium thiosulfate also has properties and characteristics like Prime, like only a tiny amount is needed to treat a lot of water. It definitely has sulfur of some sort in it.

I’ve noticed that the black specks tend to precipitate out when the bottle of Prime is a year or older. Could be it’s supersaturated, and certain compounds/stuff in the formula crystallize or something over time.
API Tap Water Conditioner supposedly has thiosulfate but it doesn't smell like Prime. I also have a jar of thiosulfate powder and it doesn't smell like Safe.

I also calculated how much Safe is equal to Prime based on how much chloramine they neutralize. Assuming they put as much Safe in Prime as possible, the water solubility isn't the same as thiosulfate.

Tunaboy

Hey!
I was wondering? If how much Seachem Prime should you use in a 20 gallon tank?

Tol

Well Known
Tunaboy said:
Hey!
I was wondering? If how much Seachem Prime should you use in a 20 gallon tank?
2ml if treating the whole tank.

When I do water changes (50-60%) on my 29gal, I dose about 2.9 or 3ml directly into the tank and refill. I have never had a problem doing it this way. The safest way would be to add the correct amount into a bucket of water and refill the tank with the water already treated, but for those of us that don't use a bucket to refill water that is a common way to do it.

Tallen78

Tol said:
2ml if treating the whole tank.

When I do water changes (50-60%) on my 29gal, I dose about 2.9 or 3ml directly into the tank and refill. I have never had a problem doing it this way. The safest way would be to add the correct amount into a bucket of water and refill the tank with the water already treated, but for those of us that don't use a bucket to refill water that is a common way to do it.
That’s how I do all my tanks using a python the best way to go about before I fill I use enough prime to treat the whole tank not just the amount of water I removed

WrenFeenix

Well Known
AvalancheDave said:
API Tap Water Conditioner supposedly has thiosulfate but it doesn't smell like Prime. I also have a jar of thiosulfate powder and it doesn't smell like Safe.

I also calculated how much Safe is equal to Prime based on how much chloramine they neutralize. Assuming they put as much Safe in Prime as possible, the water solubility isn't the same as thiosulfate.
I think sodium thiosulfate is a component of Prime’s formula, not that Prime is pure sodium thiosulfate in solution. The other ingredients would effect the properties, but Prime has many similarities with sodium thiosulfate.
Just my 2 cents.

bamos1

WrenFeenix said:
it smells exactly like sodium thiosulfate when it gets wet
Is that what makes it smell exactly like a skunk? Every time I open the bottle my wife or kids think there’s a skunk in our yard.

Tunaboy

bamos1 said:
Is that what makes it smell exactly like a skunk? Every time I open the bottle my wife or kids think there’s a skunk in our yard.
I know right? It smells so bad. :p

New Threads