How do you transport a SW reef tank How Do I

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by lybrian1, Oct 19, 2010.

1. lybrian1

lybrian1Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    I am thinking about buying a used bio cube at some point in the near future but first i need to know how would i transport it? I have a car but from past experience with FW tanks, i did not take water with me so my tank had to cycle again. it was a pain. So now I'm thinking a reef tank would be so much more delicate to transport. How can i safely transport a SW tank with fish?

2. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +124
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Really, the only reason you'd want to transport water is to match water parameters. Moving dirty water is just that, moving dirty water, and will not help with cycling the tank. Just drain the water and add live rock into some buckets. I'd leave any sand in the tank. Get pics from the seller beforehand so you can kind of come up with a "game plan".

Moving a SW tank is a lot more difficult than moving a FW tank. When I bought a used tank I ended up losing most of the livestock. Most of the corals survived. It was about a 2 hour drive away from me so if I ever do it again I'll certainly look for one that I don't have to move as far.

3. MK7

MK7Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    How far are you moving it?

4. Jia

JiaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    3 years
    Hey guys i have just bought 2 x 75g ish tanks fully stocked and operational. The problem is i need to move them back to my place. it is only 5 mins away so distance isnt the issue. what i want to know is should i keep all the existing water or do a 20% water change when i move them? there is live rock and about 9 fish and a dirty big zebra eel lol.
    If anyone has moved a tank before i would really like some pointers.
    Cheers
    Jia

5. MK7

MK7Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi Jia,
    We just moved a 90 gallon saltwater about a month or two ago. I know that most would not agree with this way but the guy we got the tank from had the tank for 9 years and we did what he suggested and everything did turn out fine. Two days before the move we prepared about 60 gallons of saltwater and heated it to the same temp as his tank. We went out and got big rubbermaid containers with lids for the water. We also took rope and blankets to secure everything. We took pictures and made notes of how all his eguipment was set up. The day of the move we went to his house and tore everything down, got as much of his water as possible in the containers. We took the water down in the aquarium just enough to cover the rock and fish. We kept the rock and fish in the tank and loaded everything up and brought it home. Quickly we unloaded everything and my husband and son in law hooked all the filters and skimmers up while my daughter and I cleaned the tank and added about 50 or 60 gallons of his water and then topped off with our saltwater. This was a very short move. It did work out fine for us. I am no expert on this just sharing our experience. All the livestock are doing great. MK

6. zeeter

zeeterWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    1 year
    That sounds like a good plan. Not sure I would have kept the rocks and fish in the tank, though. Could have been some sliding around or something. Also, as harpua said there's no reason to take their water unless there isn't enough pre-mixed at home.

I would keep the live rock and fish in buckets (separately) and just move the tank with the sand in it. Maybe even take out the sand if it's too heavy. All you really need to retain from the old setup is the bacteria on the live rock.

7. Jia

JiaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    3 years
    OK the story so far..... i have moved the first tank and all its inhabitants. So far so good. I ended up using 2 x 100litre drums and 6 25litre containers to move all the existing water. I put the live rock in the drums so it was out for water for not even 2 minutes. I took it all home and set it all up as fast as possable and hammered it with 2 filters to get it nice and clear also i blasted it with 3 heaters to get the temp up as fast as i could. At this stage i put 75 litres of new water in as well, then the fish went in. So far 24hours later everything is going great guns all the fish are good and all the levels are 0.
    Oh btw the tanks are 370 litres which makes them around 100gal not 75 lol.
    I am moving the other tank in 2 days time and i'm not looking forward to moving the eel.

8. MK7

MK7Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Sounds like it all went well. Let me know how the other tank goes.

9. lanlesnee

lanlesneeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Good idea to move one tank at a time. I'm getting ready to move a 90 gallon reef tomorrow.

I plan to keep most of the water, like I did with my last move 150g reef. I didn't lose a single fish/coral on that move.

I had to do a bunch of water changes after the move. That's were keeping the old water helps to cut some of the cost of the water changes.

10. Jia

JiaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    3 years
    well finally its all done. The sand was filthy i don't think it was cleaned at all in the last year lol. Put the rest of the fish in my tank at home ( the one i moved the other day) and i kept the eel and starfish in the tank. how the fish have all lived this long i will never know, i was borderline vomiting from the smell and sludge in the water. so far no deaths at all and the blue tang is even starting to turn blue again lol (he was almost pure white when i got there) and holy **** are they eating lol. the eel ate 3 shelled raw prawns and still looks hungry.

11. MK7

MK7Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    It sounds like it all went well. I am glad, I was a nervous wreck when we did ours, so I know it can be stressful. Our tank and fish are all still doing great and everyday I notice new things on the rock. I love it.