How Do You Test A Water Heater Is Working?

justatank

I have three tank water heaters that I am not sure they function properly or at all

I bought from a turtle rescue centre (Dud has 40 tanks and 200 turtles, that Big Al's and other responsible LFS collect from people with oversized turtles, and turn over to him

1 has light that goes on (and seems to heat up, FAST but shuts off right away)

1 has light that goes does not go on 150 watt topfin (seems to have a few drops of water inside)

1 has no visible light "Radiant"

Aquarist

Good morning,

I would dispose of the one that has water on the inside. Unplug it first if you are currently using it.

You could test the heaters in an empty tank or tub (that won't melt), turn them on and test the temperature in 24 hours.

Heaters are not designed to be "on" and actually heating all of the time. Once the set temperature has been reached, they should shut off and only come on from time to time.

Ken

LyndaB

Are they meant to be used with fish or turtles? Maybe there's a difference.

We have digital thermometers attached to all of our tanks. They have alarms that will alert us if the temp varies more than a few degrees in either direction. Don't ever guess at what your tank water temperature is. It could result in the death of your fish.

justatank

they are regular fish Aquarium heaters

I guess I need to set up a controlled experiment
get 2 tanks / containers of water and put cool water in them, then put 1 heater in 1 tank, and a 2nd tank / container with no heater
if after a fw hours, no difference in water temp, heater is history

Thanks for the comment on heat with water in it one less to test

LyndaB

I wouldn't use cool water. I would use room temperature water.

MzMolly65

I'm glad this came up because I think I have a heater that isn't working. The digital thermometer is fluctuating between 21C and 24C during the day :;sman .. it used to sit at a solid 25C

Is it done? Garbage? or is there anything I can do to test it to be sure it's not just the summer temps messing with the tank??

ppate1977

Heaters are One thing I don't mess with. If in doubt get a new one! Not.only could it crack and kill fish, but your own life can be at risk, or at least a big shook. Be careful fellow fishkeepers.

justatank

I am surprized that these items are not grounded

Heaters are One thing I don't mess with. If in doubt get a new one! Not.only could it crack and kill fish, but your own life can be at risk, or at least a big shook. Be careful fellow fishkeepers.

I am looking into grounding everything with a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI),

I have read about a device called a “grounding probe”. that grounds tanks
This article debunks the use and agrees with ppate1997

and makes a suggestion to use a CFGI's and avoid grounding probes as they could effect fish's health

GFI

ppate1977

Interesting article justatank! I just want everyone and their fish to be safe. It's not worth $20-40 to mess with heaters and possible fish/human injuries.

justatank

I got over being a thrifty Dutchman and bought 300 watt heater

It pains me to spend money,

I get my substrates free from Beach, streetcar sand bins,
I have scooped up broken safety glass, until it dawned on me, that puffers have delicate skin and its not worth stratching the fish to save money.

ppate1977

I hear ya Justatank ; I make my own driftwood, wash the check out of Playsand and collect river rocks for my tanks. I take pride in diy; unfortunately I can't make a heater, lol!

UNCLERUCKUS

Put Ya Heater In A Five Gallon Bucket Of Room Temp Water. It Wont Take As Long To See If It Works This Way. It Should Heat It Up In No Time.

Lucy

This is a pretty old thread.
I'm sure the OP has resolved his issue.
Please be sure to check dates before replying.

Thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• FiscCyning
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Cichlidude
  • John58ford
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Islandvic