How do you tell when a pregnancy is over?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Our little Daisy (well not that little ) unexpectedly started having babies 34 days after we bought her. She had another batch 24 days later on March 5, so we're expecting the next batch somewhere around the 29th, give or take.. what we wonder is do Platys always drop exactly 6 batches of fry, we've read conflicting information on that. How do we tell for sure that she's dropped her last fry?

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think there is really anyway to know until she gets fat(pregnant) again.
Tom

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tom said:
I don't think there is really anyway to know until she gets fat(pregnant) again.
Tom
Do all platies drop babies 6 times? That what I read most places, but have seen some say 6-8 times? She's working on the 3rd batch now - unless she had some at the store, but I don't think she did given the 34 days between her purchase and the first batch of fry. We'd just like to know when she's done giving us fry. She pretty much has stayed fat since not long after we bought her (apparently already pregnant since we got only females).

Little Daisy's never read a lot of the platy articles that I have because she NEVER loses her appetite and will be swimming around literally right after dropping fry - no recovery time needed for her apparently. LOL

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you mean they only have 6 pregnancies?
Tom

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tom said:
Do you mean they only have 6 pregnancies?
Tom
Well, from what we've read they can have pregnancies from 3-4 months on. But when platys mate, the female stores the sperm in a sac (i forget the exact name) and she uses a bit of it to fertilize eggs, drops fry, then uses more of what she's stored to fertilize more eggs, drops fry & by this method has 6 batches of fry from 1 pregnancy. But I've also read they can have 6-8 batches, so i'm not sure when she'll stop & if there's some visible sign in her apperance that she's out of stored sperm and done with the pregnancy. She'll be done for good as we only have female platys in her tank.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From one of the people I bought some platys from(a very experieced breeder), he said they can only hold about 2-3 pregnancies worth of sperm in that sac. But it could be different for each platy as well as type.
Tom

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tom said:
From one of the people I bought some platys from(a very experieced breeder), he said they can only hold about 2-3 pregnancies worth of sperm in that sac. But it could be different for each platy as well as type.
Tom
Really? That's good news - I sure hope that is the case for Gold Twinbar Platys.. we'd be happy if this next batch was it. I've not heard that some platy types could be that low of a # of pregnancies, but surprisingly hard to find much indepth information on platy pregnancy online. Thanks - I'll pass it on to my wife & we'll pray that Gold Twinbars max out at 3 pregnancies.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a platy that had only one pregnancy with me and only 4 fry(the black calicos).
Tom

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
In general, livebearers can remain pregnant for up to a year.....I've got a pregnant swordtail who's been giving birth since last May.....We donated Daddy in August.....She's still going......and going.....and going......and her gravid spot is still dark....So she'll keep on going.....and going.... Once the gravid spot on a livebearer is translucent again, she's done......Hard to tell on black or very dark colored fish.......

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
vin said:
In general, livebearers can remain pregnant for up to a year.....I've got a pregnant swordtail who's been giving birth since last May.....We donated Daddy in August.....She's still going......and going.....and going......and her gravid spot is still dark....So she'll keep on going.....and going.... Once the gravid spot on a livebearer is translucent again, she's done......Hard to tell on black or very dark colored fish.......
Looks like our Daisy is still going, despite our hopes that her last batch meant she was done.

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
vin said:
In general, livebearers can remain pregnant for up to a year.....I've got a pregnant swordtail who's been giving birth since last May.....We donated Daddy in August.....She's still going......and going.....and going......and her gravid spot is still dark....So she'll keep on going.....and going....  Once the gravid spot on a livebearer is translucent again, she's done......Hard to tell on black or very dark colored fish.......
Looks like our Daisy is still going, despite our hopes that her last batch meant she was done.
Good luck!!

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I know I am a glutton for punishment, but I still am enthralled with the platy birth. Just had our second batch of fry. 40!!!

I put Ms. Platy in the 'box', to try to save as many as possible, took her out 12 hours after birthing. I was going to leave the babies in the box to keep them away from the 11, 1 month olds. WELL so much for thinking! One big baby made its way IN the box, and 1/2 of the little ones got out???? So finally I just dumped the rest in with the bigger fry. By next month this will not work.

So, if we keep going this way, in a couple more months I should have some to take into the LFS.

Still planning to get a new male and possibly 2 new females in the next couple of weeks, if the store gets more of the same Sunset fire wagtails, in.

I may get a different kind however, if they don't have the same yet. There is only one store I have found in AK that carries separate colors of Platy. All the rest just get in the "MIXED" which I really can't see breeding. It just waters down so much hard work by people who are trying to develop special characteristics. So....
Back to Fairbanks (500 mile round trip!)

Since I know you have this kind, what can you tell us about the blue Mickey mouse? Someone asked the question today, and I know you are the guy that can answer!
Thanks for letting us pick your brain.

Land of the Midnight Sun 8)

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fortunately, Daisy wasn't still going, it was just a false alarm.. the finishing off of things i guess.

Those blue mickey mouse platys are great.. really more silver than blue though. they can be a little timid, but no more than other platies (they're the hardest ones to net when i have to take them out) and i believe they're one of the smallest, if not the smallest, of the typical platy types. our 2 blues are definitely smaller than our others. They're my favorites in the tank and i'd recommend them for sure.. if you're getting male and female platys and have the option of more than 1 store, buy the males at one and the females at another to lower the chance of inbreeding.. like daisy's fry.

hamstermann

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm jealous of your blue mickey's. I can't seem to find them anywhere in Salt Lake City. Where did you get yours?

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
Fortunately, Daisy wasn't still going, it was just a false alarm.. the finishing off of things i guess.

Those blue mickey mouse platys are great.. really more silver than blue though.  they can be a little timid, but no more than other platies (they're the hardest ones to net when i have to take them out) and i believe they're one of the smallest, if not the smallest, of the typical platy types.  our 2 blues are definitely smaller than our others.  They're my favorites in the tank and i'd recommend them for sure.. if you're getting male and female platys and have the option of more than 1 store, buy the males at one and the females at another to lower the chance of inbreeding.. like daisy's fry.
My fry don't seem to be inbred at this point, as there have been no deformities or really any unexplained deaths or any thing. Out of 11 of the first batch there are still 11. I know it is now my responsibility to keep this going, so will have to separate m & f fry soon, and get new blood if I want to continue breeding at all. I think it is worth it though, since there really are ways for me to find buyers for the fry up here.

If I want to breed anything, this is a good way to practice.

Land of the Midnight Sun 8)

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm glad of that.. only 9 of the fry have survived and 2 have curved spines from all the fry that daisy had.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom