How do you tell if an african violet is healthy?

Joshaeus

HI everyone! I have been taking more of an interest in growing plants lately and have acquired a small stash of houseplants, including an African violet I coined 'Viola'. 'She' is a couple feet from a south window, but since it's winter and much of the the sun is blocked by nearby trees she is under about 14-15 hours of 5000K LED daylight bulbs, as are two of my other plants (a Clivia named 'Elizabeth' and an as yet unnamed Peperomia); all of my houseplants are being grown hydroponically, with the plants potted in expanded clay media and with the pots placed in a second container with some nutrient solution.

My question is, how can I tell how my violet is doing? I've had 'her' less than a week (tomorrow will be one week), but I want to know how to tell whether 'she' is doing well when 'she' is more established. She has a lot of open blooms and several more inflorescences in the wings, and when I added the daylight bulbs (upon discovering my room gets less light than I thought) the flower stalks all stretched several inches up towards the lights within a few hours. Here is a picture for reference...thanks!

Viola.jpeg

NevermindIgnoreMe

I love AVs! I got one this week too for Valentine's day. Oral violets has a website with lots of great info, and I think you'll find it very helpful.

Joshaeus

I love AVs! I got one this week too for Valentine's day. Oral violets has a website with lots of great info, and I think you'll find it very helpful.
Thanks! I'll go check that out.

EDIT: I could not find a website by that name...only a weird medical treatment. Can you post a URL here?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
CaptainAquatics
Replies
Views
Smurphy90
  • Question