How do you take care of fry?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by flygirl11, Aug 2, 2015.

1. flygirl11New MemberMember

One of my fish, (guppy I think) gave birth today to about 12 living fry. How should I take care of them? They are currently in a tupperware with water from the tank.

2. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

To feed them you want to crush up some flakes into powder and sprinkle it in. I think the ideal setup is a small tank with a sponge filter. How's your temp?

You can return them to the normal tank once they're too big for the other fishes' mouths.

Also if you find you can't provide proper care, lots of local fish stores will take fry. Good luck, and welcome to Fish Lore!

3. Amglynn05

Amglynn05New MemberMember

Guppies are hardy fish, but I would be concerned about the water temp and keeping the water oxygenated without water movement.

Is your other tank a species only aquarium, or do you have other fish in it? In my experience, guppies seldom eat their fry. I've only struggled with a couple larger females...

I would consider setting up another small tank to raise the fry... Or float a breeder's box/net in your existing tank to keep them safe and separate.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    f

flygirl11New MemberMember

I have two female guppies, a female molly and a cory catfish. I looked at breeder boxes but I didn't think that the guppy would give birth so quickly.

5. Amglynn05

Amglynn05New MemberMember

More than likely, the Molly will eat the fry. When I kept mollies in the past I had to be swift in removing the fry from the tank. I would invest in a breeder box or another small aquarium to raise the fry in. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. OP
    OP
    f

flygirl11New MemberMember

Thank you guys for your advice. I really appreciate it. It helped a lot!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice