Votes: 0 0.0%
  • spell: beta, pronounce: "beh-tuh"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AxolotlAquarist

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've seen this spelled and pronounced both ways, and I was wondering which you normally do. More commonly I've heard/seen "betta" pronounced "bay-tuh" but sometimes I've heard people say "beh-tuh." Tell me which you do!

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Spelling it is Betta, that's the scientific name in the books. It's supposed to be pronounced Bet-tuh because they're names have been derived from an Old Asian Warrior Clan known as "Bettah" (see the "e" ?) and for their fighting tendencies. But, depending on where u live, pronounciation is different . I say it "wrong" as bay-tuh because beh-tuh is kinda hard to pronounce clearly

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It is pronounced bet-tuh (like you are making a bet) although I know I say it wrong. I say it like Bay-tuh. Like ..alpha.. betta ..they are spelled differently, but that rarely matters lol

Nanologist

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Most people say "bay-tah" and so do I even though I know it's "beh-tah". I just don't want to be "that guy" going around saying it different and correcting everyone just because I own one.

Potayto - Potahto

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How you pronounce it isn't quite as important as how you spell it. Most people who say Bay-tah usually end up mis-spelling it as well. Following English grammar, it is properly pronounced Bet-tah because of the double TT; however, it is also more proper due to the origin of the name, as given above by KinsKicks.

Books&Fish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've always spelled it "betta" but I pronounced it "bay tah" until I looked up the pronunciation a few months before buying one. Everyone around me pronounces it "bay tah" but I choose to use the proper pronunciation just because that's the way it's supposed to be.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have never heard anyone say bay-tuh. All the stores around me say beh-tah or beh-tuh. I say beh-tah and spell it betta

CraniumRex

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Like better but with "ah" at the end. Personally I think the e should be short, BAY-tah (beta) is the second letter of the Greek alphabet or a kind of beet.

However you pronounce it, gotta love 'em.

JamieXPXP

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ive always pronounced it as bay-tah which I always get called out on by betta "lovers" lol

New Threads