How do you secure your backing?

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just a question. I have backing on three tanks and I use double sided sticky tape (cellotape, whatever you call it) to secure the backing but only at the top and sides. I am storing a spare hob filter on two tanks and a bit of water leaked between the backing and tank and it looks horrid. Partly stuck and partly not so it looks bubbly. I have tired freeing it up a few times and it recurs. I guess I must not have the backing well enough secured.

What does everyone else do to secure backing?

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you have one of those backgrounds they sell at Petsmart or any LFS, you can soak it in soapy water and it should stick really good. You'll need a roller or something to press it firmly to the back of the tank and get all the soapy water off it. Be careful though, not to get the soapy water into the aquarium.

Alasse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Quite a few use petroleum jelly smeared onto the back, then smooth on the background with a gredit card or roller. It repels the water and gives a good finish.

Please be careful you dont get any on the inside of the tank though.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks guys. I wouldn't have thought of those two. I'll try the soapy water technique.

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey there......I just do the tape thing...but...my LFS sellls a product that is made specifically for backing.....(very similar iI guess to apply like the vasaline)...it does look great when finished...a friend had it used on her SW tank......as soom as I find out the name of it Ill re-post

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This is what I used:

It worked great for me. Easy to put on and haven't had any troubles with it since. You can get more info on it here:

Last edited:

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Interesting..... I've always just used scotch tape on the outside corners. That way, if water did get underneath, like when I might splash over the side, it's easy off-easy on.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Interesting..... I've always just used scotch tape on the outside corners. That way, if water did get underneath, like when I might splash over the side, it's easy off-easy on.
I started with just scotch tape but it was so annoying whenever water got on the back of the tank. Also, by having the background actually adhered to the glass, it gives it a more vivid look and brings out the colors in the background better. Plus, if it needs to be removed, it's easily peeled off. I feel it was definately worth the $5 or so that I spent on it.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cool! I'll look for seaview. Part of my problem is that I can't make up my mind about backing at the time I set up a tank so I have put it on all my large tanks later, without as good access. I am just setting up a new tank so I'll try to do it right this time.
One the tanks I have already set up I might try taping all the way along the top. I have gaps at the moment so water can get in and there isn't air circulation to dry it out. Maybe if the tape is all the way along it will work better.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just use duct tape. One long strip across the top & then a few smaller pieces around the sides. Any water that does go over the back of the tank just runs right over the duct tape & down the outside of the backing.

I've never used one of those backing glues but they look like a pretty good idea if you can get it. (I've never seen it before where I live)

Alee C.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just used scotch tape.(my mom wanted to use duct tape)
If your solution to everything involves duct tape...You might be a redneck

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
At first I used tape but I didn't like much. My background never seemed flat and maybe it was just my scotch tap but it left that sticky stuff on the glass thats hard to get off. It was also bothersome when I was trying to move the filter. When I got a new one I used seaview and I prefer it. It seems less like glue and more like an oily substance when your putting it on (not sticky). And you have to make sure to get any air bubbles out because they won't look good but that was no big deal and now I think it looks great. No water gets between it and the glass. It looks cleaner to me. (had some awesome feedback about how much better it looked). Everyone has the own opinions, and I think above mentioned ways work great for some people too! I really like seaview though and will use it from now on. Good Luck!

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I use Seaview as well. I did have one background that eventually got water behind it but when I fixed it I put a VERY thin bead of clear silicone around the edges after reapplying the Seaview and water has not been able to get under it so far.

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I like seaview because it sealsthe background against the glass. It is not permenant. If you get bored with one backgound it is super easy to change. And you don't wind up going nuts trying to scrape and peak unsightly tape with a razor blade and cutting my fingers.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ugh. I've tried 4 different shops and two online retailiers and no sign of it in Australia. Any Aussies seen this stuff?

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
www.seaviewinfo.com is the website addresson the product label btw with just one bottle I was able to do a background on my 30gal and my 40gal n have enough to do one change on either one.

Last edited:

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If your solution to everything involves duct tape...You might be a redneck
I so saw that one coming! I am from West Virginia, and no, my car is not made of duct tape!
Sorry, completely off topic, just thought it was funny!

On a more serious note, I use scotch tape as well, but I might try the Sea view when I set up my 20g and replace the background on my 10g.

Last edited:

ticocruiser

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have used the scotch tape on a couple of tanks, now I use vegetable oil because I always have it on hand.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom