How Do You Remove Ammonia From Well Water?

AngelsAbove

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've been looking into getting a 300 gallon stock tank pond for a few goldfish and and plants. A couple weeks ago, I found an ad for a 300 gallon stock tank pond set up for sale. I really want/ed this pond, so I starting running some tests with water quality to make sure I'm all clear.

So, I tested my ammonia... it's at 2ppm straight from the well! The nitrites are 0, and the pH is about 8.

So how do I remove ammonia from well water? It's not chlorinated and it doesn't have chloramines, so would water conditioners have any effect?

Would the established filter be enough to cyling out the ammonia?

I've also heard briefly of using resin or zeolites.

Is there any way to get rid of all that ammonia? I hope I don't have to give up my dream.

Andy S

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What size filter are you currently running, what media does it contain?

Sorry, I may have misunderstood your original post - you mention 'the established filter'. Are you saying that you already have a pond with an established filter or are you talking about at some point in the future when you get the pond installed and get the filter established?

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You could set the pond up and fill it with plants after so long it will clean itself and if you want fish just start with a low stock. Another option would be buying water several company's sell city water for people who have water holding tanks instead of wells.

AngelsAbove

Valued Member
Reaction score
What size filter are you currently running, what media does it contain?

Sorry, I may have misunderstood your original post - you mention 'the established filter'. Are you saying that you already have a pond with an established filter or are you talking about at some point in the future when you get the pond installed and get the filter established?
Sorry for the confusion. I'm looking at a craigslist ad for a 300 gallon stock tank pond that has already been running for a year. The price includes its filtration system (which he only specified as pumice and UV filtration so I'll most likely be adding more. I plan on going to look at the pond in a couple days and I'll figure out what all I'll need to replace or add to then). The idea is that I want to keep the bb alive until I get home and have it all running. But for the sake of the discussion, let's pretend I never mentioned a previous filtration system.

You could set the pond up and fill it with plants after so long it will clean itself and if you want fish just start with a low stock. Another option would be buying water several company's sell city water for people who have water holding tanks instead of wells.
I can't imagine how expensive that would be considering how far out I live, I don't think I could afford it. I only keep a 250 gallon tank for emergencies.

Filtering the water through Zeolite will remove it.
I'm guessing you remove the zeolite once it has detoxed the water so it doesn't ammonia bomb your pond if it comes it contact with salt?

Once your pond filter becomes established it should have no problem eating up excess ammonia. Also as others have said stocking lightly and planting heavily should also help you along.
So 2ppm can tackled by the BB? That's nice to hear. I only plan on keeping 4 fish so hopefully that light enough stocking.

Andy S

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As long as you are willing to wait for a while before adding fish you should have no problem, just fill the pond with your well water, put the filter on it and run it as if it were a completely new setup. Monitor the water frequently to see the ammonia drop, if you have an established filter already it should not take long for the bb to consume your 2ppm ammonia but even if none of the bacteria survive it will be no different to starting a new pond. If you have plenty of plants that will help a lot; they will consume the ammonia regardless of what the filter is doing.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom