How do YOU pronounce Gourami?

Maggie123

Reaction score
I just bought a gorgeous Thick Lip Sunset GouramI to be a centerpiece for my tank yesterday. His name is Sunny (I know, original). After telling my boyfriend about my wonderful new fish, he says I am not saying it right. I only know it from reading it off of here, not the actual pronunciation.
Currently, I am saying Goo-RAH-Me. But I don't think that's right :/

Help?

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Maggie123 said:
I just bought a gorgeous Thick Lip Sunset GouramI to be a centerpiece for my tank yesterday. His name is Sunny (I know, original). After telling my boyfriend about my wonderful new fish, he says I am not saying it right. I only know it from reading it off of here, not the actual pronunciation.

Help?
That's how I pronounce it as well

I hope you enjoy the sunset gourami. I have 2 females in my tank and they are absolutely my favorite fish. Really really love them.

OP
M

Maggie123

Reaction score
tyguy7760 said:
That's how I pronounce it as well

I hope you enjoy the sunset gourami. I have 2 females in my tank and they are absolutely my favorite fish. Really really love them.
Can you post a picture of your females? I think there was one in the tank at the pet store. I am wondering if I should go back and get her. I would love a m/f pair and I have heard the females are kind of hard to come by. Would a 30 gal be enough space for the m/f?

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
The picture in my avatar is a female. The sunset gourami's don't have the color difference between male and females as many of the other gourami's do. So it's harder to differentiate the sex as opposed to something like a dwarf or honey gouramI who's color differences are obvious.

However, when looking at a tank of them, the females will often have muted colors in comparison to the males. Males will be much bolder and have a lot of contrast to the color. Females will be lighter and slightly paler. Males will also be a bit larger (not a whole lot) and many times their analfin will be larger and more pronounced. If you are looking at mature fish, many times the males will have sharp points to their anal and dorsal fins.

I think 30 gallon would be plenty of room. I have 2 females in a 36 gallon and they do fine.

View attachment 20150729_174946 (1).jpg20150628_091429.jpg

f2002

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Maggie123 said:
That's how I say it as well.

Glad to hear that other people are as confused about certain names as I am. For me, the one word I'm not sure about is anacharis.

If it really bothers you, you can look up the word in Youtube and see how the more popular tubers pronounce it. The people with lots of subscribers are most likely correct, since they probably have lots of experience and talk to lots of fish hobbyists.

I have the same goorahme as well! They are super cute, moving their little whiskers around. I used to have a betta and purchased a floating betta log for him. The betta didn't like it but the gouramI loved it!

Tiny goatfish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Me to! I had the hardest time with trying to figure cichlid out! I had to ask a friend! Also how does you boyfriend think gouramis pronounced?

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Anacharis I pronounce ej-EER-ee-ah (Egeria).

OP
M

Maggie123

Reaction score
tyguy7760 said:
The picture in my avatar is a female. The sunset gourami's don't have the color difference between male and females as many of the other gourami's do. So it's harder to differentiate the sex as opposed to something like a dwarf or honey gouramI who's color differences are obvious.

However, when looking at a tank of them, the females will often have muted colors in comparison to the males. Males will be much bolder and have a lot of contrast to the color. Females will be lighter and slightly paler. Males will also be a bit larger (not a whole lot) and many times their analfin will be larger and more pronounced. If you are looking at mature fish, many times the males will have sharp points to their anal and dorsal fins.

I think 30 gallon would be plenty of room. I have 2 females in a 36 gallon and they do fine.

View attachment 20150729_174946 (1).jpg20150628_091429.jpg

After looking at your pictures, I believe the picture on the left looks most like the one I thought was a female. Maybe I'll stop by there sometime soon and send you guys some pictures of her and see if you can tell me. I only saw "her" very briefly as she seemed to be hiding in this log, which would make sense because she was the only female in a tank of approximately 8 males. Poor girl.

Maybe I'll pick her up

New Threads