How do you pronounce Gourami?

Kiwwi
Title says it all.

Dino
Though misspelled.

Grom ee is how it is pronounced locally.
Gore ra mee is believe is closer to correct.

ThisGuy

take a listen

Shawnie
LOL nice site thisguy!

ThisGuy
I like it it glitches out some times, but I think that's because I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser.

cheers

Christine.
I think the beginning is said like you would say gourmet, but ahh-me at the end

angelfish220
I always said Gor-a-mee but I have no idea if that is right.

Maggie123
I just bought a gorgeous Thick Lip Sunset Gourami to be a centerpiece for my tank yesterday. His name is Sunny (I know, original). After telling my boyfriend about my wonderful new fish, he says I am not saying it right. I only know it from reading it off of here, not the actual pronunciation.
Currently, I am saying Goo-RAH-Me. But I don't think that's right :/

Help?

tyguy7760
I just bought a gorgeous Thick Lip Sunset Gourami to be a centerpiece for my tank yesterday. His name is Sunny (I know, original). After telling my boyfriend about my wonderful new fish, he says I am not saying it right. I only know it from reading it off of here, not the actual pronunciation.

Help?

That's how I pronounce it as well

I hope you enjoy the sunset gourami. I have 2 females in my tank and they are absolutely my favorite fish. Really really love them.

Danjamesdixon
Welcome to the forum.

As much as it doesn't matter, you are saying it correct. Ghur-Rah-Me.

happygolucky
I say Gore-ra-me

BornThisWayBettas
Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Nice to have you here!

I pronounce it "gore-rah-me".

Maggie123
That's how I pronounce it as well

I hope you enjoy the sunset gourami. I have 2 females in my tank and they are absolutely my favorite fish. Really really love them.

Can you post a picture of your females? I think there was one in the tank at the pet store. I am wondering if I should go back and get her. I would love a m/f pair and I have heard the females are kind of hard to come by. Would a 30 gal be enough space for the m/f?

tyguy7760
The picture in my avatar is a female. The sunset gourami's don't have the color difference between male and females as many of the other gourami's do. So it's harder to differentiate the sex as opposed to something like a dwarf or honey gourami who's color differences are obvious.

However, when looking at a tank of them, the females will often have muted colors in comparison to the males. Males will be much bolder and have a lot of contrast to the color. Females will be lighter and slightly paler. Males will also be a bit larger (not a whole lot) and many times their analfin will be larger and more pronounced. If you are looking at mature fish, many times the males will have sharp points to their anal and dorsal fins.

I think 30 gallon would be plenty of room. I have 2 females in a 36 gallon and they do fine.

View attachment 20150729_174946 (1).jpg
20150628_091429.jpg

Anders247
Welcome to fishlore!
I pronounce it gore-ah-me.....

f2002

That's how I say it as well.

Glad to hear that other people are as confused about certain names as I am. For me, the one word I'm not sure about is anacharis.

If it really bothers you, you can look up the word in Youtube and see how the more popular tubers pronounce it. The people with lots of subscribers are most likely correct, since they probably have lots of experience and talk to lots of fish hobbyists.

I have the same goorahme as well! They are super cute, moving their little whiskers around. I used to have a betta and purchased a floating betta log for him. The betta didn't like it but the gourami loved it!

Anders247
Anna-car-iss is how I pronounce that.....

BornThisWayBettas
Anna-car-iss is how I pronounce that.....
Ohh..... so that's how it's pronounced..... good thing I don't do plants, I probably would've pronounced it like "an-ar-ker-riss"..... that sounds like some sort of video game lol.

crystalm04
Welcome to the forum.

As much as it doesn't matter, you are saying it correct. Ghur-Rah-Me.

Ghur-rah -me is how I say it too. You should have heard the first time I pronounced cichlids the fish store guy looked at me funny! I pronounced the "CH" . LOL... oops.

Tiny goatfish
Me to! I had the hardest time with trying to figure cichlid out! I had to ask a friend! Also how does you boyfriend think gouramis pronounced?

DanB80TTS
Guh-rah-me

Anna- ca-ris

chromedome52
Anacharis I pronounce ej-EER-ee-ah (Egeria).

Maggie123
The picture in my avatar is a female. The sunset gourami's don't have the color difference between male and females as many of the other gourami's do. So it's harder to differentiate the sex as opposed to something like a dwarf or honey gourami who's color differences are obvious.

However, when looking at a tank of them, the females will often have muted colors in comparison to the males. Males will be much bolder and have a lot of contrast to the color. Females will be lighter and slightly paler. Males will also be a bit larger (not a whole lot) and many times their analfin will be larger and more pronounced. If you are looking at mature fish, many times the males will have sharp points to their anal and dorsal fins.

I think 30 gallon would be plenty of room. I have 2 females in a 36 gallon and they do fine.

View attachment 176030View attachment 176031

After looking at your pictures, I believe the picture on the left looks most like the one I thought was a female. Maybe I'll stop by there sometime soon and send you guys some pictures of her and see if you can tell me. I only saw "her" very briefly as she seemed to be hiding in this log, which would make sense because she was the only female in a tank of approximately 8 males. Poor girl.

Maybe I'll pick her up

nathanlubensky
i've heard ger-aimee, gwarami(I like this because gwar rules) personally I stick with gur-ahm-ee

nathanlubensky
a riv a dertchy

DeniseMichele
Ive always said gore-rah-me......

nathanlubensky
just out of curiosity how do you all say nyererei

Geoff
I say gurr-ah-mee.

NyerereI - no clue. Knee-airy-airy? Haha

Danjamesdixon
I laugh my head off when people say 'Chillids' haha!

BornThisWayBettas
I laugh my head off when people say 'Chillids' haha!
Lol, before threads like these, I most likely would've pronounced them like "chickleds" lol. But probably never "chilleds", so you couldn't ever laugh at me haha! ;D

Gena
guh-rah-me

Personally, I've never heard anyone say it differently. Maybe it's a geographical thing?

lily potter1223
Cichlids is the word that confuses me :/ I say Kick-lids lol. is that correct? I doubt it

Bijou88
Gore-ah-me, sick-lids, an-na-care-iss.

Gena
It's sick-lid.

Wendigoblue
I pronounce it as gore-ah-me, sick-lids and an-na-car-is. So I'm not really sure if I'm correct on anacharis though...

lily potter1223
It's sick-lid.

hehehe Guess I've been saying it wrong for the past *counts fingers* 6 years or so. ;D

chromedome52
Not a hard and fast rule, but generally when a c is followed by I or e in a latinized name, the sound is a soft c, like "s". If it is followed by a, o, or u it is a hard c, like "k". A ch is usually pronounced also as "k".

nyererI is pronounced neye-er-er-eye (or -ee, if you're European). When a fish is named after a person, it should be pronounced the way that person's name would be pronounced, plus the gender suffix. Because capital letters are not allowed in the species name, a fish named after Patrick DeRham would be written derhami. Without knowing the origin of the name, a lot of people reflexively pronounce it der-ham-eye, when in fact it is pronounced dee-ram-eye.

As I have always said, it's really not important how the names are pronounced, so long as people can understand what name you are trying to say. I've met people who say GORE-mee, as if the "a" wasn't even there. The native name is also spelled "goramy" at times, and I would be likely to pronounce that differently than "gourami" from the appearance of the word.

However, I would still giggle at someone saying "chichlid" or "kicklid". A local fish store owner back in the early 70s used to say "Chiklets" when my friend and I would visit the store, and he would get very annoyed by this (for those who might be too young to remember, Chicklets was a type of gum). One day I went there by myself, and she said "Sicklids". I pointed this out, and she said that she mispronounced it intentionally when my friend was there because she knew it would annoy him!

Nickynack
I say goo-ram-ay

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
smileyshrimp
  • Question
  • BlueBubba2020
  • Snails
Replies
Views
NBettas83