How Do You Pronounce Cichlid?

Cori Elizabeth

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I thought it was sick-lid
But the owner of my local fodder store yesterday said Chick-lids ??

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've always said sick lids, never heard chick lids...

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's probably one of those things where he's always said that but no-ones ever corrected him or he's never heard it correctly pronounced. I know there's a couple things I used to say thay were completely different to what they actually were(heard of people calling danios bettas because they were little and heard/saw wrong). On the other side, he could be saying it right, but the hobby just shifted to saying it wrong. Like people saying dilla in quesadilla.

OP
Cori Elizabeth

Cori Elizabeth

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Platylover said:
It's probably one of those things where he's always said that but no-ones ever corrected him or he's never heard it correctly pronounced. I know there's a couple things I used to say thay were completely different to what they actually were(heard of people calling danios bettas because they were little and heard/saw wrong). On the other side, he could be saying it right, but the hobby just shifted to saying it wrong. Like people saying dilla in quesadilla.
very true, ill have to ask him today

MattS99

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My dad used to say it like chich-lids. My uncle would completely forget the 2nd 'i' and would say it like sicklds.

sfsamm

Well Known
Reaction score
My youngest sister said chick-lids for a long time, and on our last visit ask me which I said as she'd been rudely corrected by someone and felt super embarrassed... So if you correct someone be discrete and polite, it's like having something in your teeth the longer it goes before someone tells you the more embarrassing it is.... Be nice

That said I've also heard it pronounced "sick chids" by a pet store employee with an aquarium focus where I moved from... Always thought it was kind of adorable and couldn't bear to correct the gal.

New Threads