How do you pronounce bichir?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Arborphile, Nov 30, 2012.

1. A

Arborphile New Member Member

Seriously, how do you pronounce bichir? How should it be pronounced? Etymology?

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I think it depends on which dictionary you are using.

I'm led to believe it is bee-sher in its native French, but English pronunciations vary greatly.

Sorry, I know that doesn't really help, but I did find this:  

3. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

In which case I wasn't far off n_n I always thought of it as beech-er

4. OP
    OP
    A

Arborphile New Member Member

After a little research, apparently the world 'bichir' comes from the French inscription of an African word. Having lived in various parts of West Africa, it occurred to me that this name probably follows the same pattern as most other native words transcribed into French. Thus, the pronunciation by the natives would have been not far from "BEE SHARE." The key, however, is to pronounce the word deep from your chest. Granted, the local dialects probably had a preferred pitch in which to present the word in terms of tense or such, but since English is a non-tonal language, a deep-throated exclamation of "bee share" should be good enough.

5. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Tricky.

6. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Thanks for this thread! I've always pronounced it how it was spelled, needless to say that sounds kind of crude when I ask my lfs how they're bichirs are. :;laughing

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The different online dictionaries (which usually offer a sound sample) say Bi cher or bich er. I've always said bich er.

I don't think I'll be making any guttural sounds when pronouncing it, even if that is the way to say it.

8. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Yeah, I think they'd give me an even stranger look if I growled it at them as opposed to the whole female dog pronounciation.

9. aylad

aylad Well Known Member Member

I'd wondered this too, but hadn't looked it up.

Wiktionary's pronunciations for the IPA-challenged (if I can remember it correctly from college):

/ˈbiːtʃər/ = BEET-chur

/bɪˈʃiːr/ = bi-SHEER or bi-SHIR (unsure)

/ˈbɪtʃər/ = BIT-chur

It's been a few years since I studied IPA, though. :-\

10. M0T0

M0T0 Valued Member Member

I was told it was pronounced BIKER And seen a thread about this before and saw that they said it was pronounced BIKER< I like pronouncing it as I see it BEETCHUR

11. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I always said Bee-chi-er

12. tnfishkeeper

tnfishkeeper Valued Member Member

Never had to say it; however, since Bichon is pronounced "bee shon," I would say "bee share."

13. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

I've always said bisher

14. Bumblebat

Bumblebat Well Known Member Member

It's bah-sheer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice