How do you pronounce Betta?

hollie1505

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've searched and searched online and many people believe the way they say it is correct. Some, rather aggressively!!

But, it made me wonder; how do you pronounce Betta?

1) Bay-da

I believe most Americans say this. If I pronounced it this way I'd sound like I was putting on a bad American accent so the English would be...

2) Beat-er

Either way, like the Greek letter B.

3) Bet- ter

Bet as opposed to beat. I would pronounce it this way, I'm in the North of England.

4) Something else

I am really interested to know how you pronounce it and where you're from, just to see if there is any link between where you're from and what you say.

Cheers chaps!xx

Stu4648

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would say Bet-ta, although having said that when I see one my brain registers them as Siamese Fighting Fish.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Number 3. Bet-ter, I'm a northerner too

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It comes from the time of the British raj, so some kind of British accent would be appropriate

Around here, in California, the "e" sounds like it would in Spanish, the "a" is like "uh," and the "tt" is the American dental flap that make "ladder" and "latter" sound the same.

Thus:
voiced bilabial explosive
/e/
dental flap
schwa

Are you confused yet? English is hilariously vague--we only pretend to understand each other!

OP
hollie1505

hollie1505

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I actually say "Be'uh". Who needs to pronounce their t's anyway!??

I love differences in language, it's fascinating! That's before colloquialisms and dialect come into it. I find it all so interesting!

Stu4648 I rarely say Betta. Fighter is the word I would use too. I've never heard someone in the UK say Betta.x

hampalong

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
endlercollector said:
It comes from the time of the British raj, so some kind of British accent would be appropriate
It's pronounced the same as the word 'better'.

It comes from the old Siamese name for the fish, "ikan bettah". I doubt this would have an English accent.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hampalong said:
It's pronounced the same as the word 'better'.

It comes from the old Siamese name for the fish, "ikan bettah". I doubt this would have an English accent.
That old Siamese term was from a Pidgin English. The British had an uneasy relationship with the Thais. They didn't take over directly, but there was a lot of pressure.

Anyway, one of the things I did along the way was Southeast Asian studies...

mg13

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's pronounced Be-tah, but I say Bay-tah. I also speak Russian, so that may be why my tongue chose to say it that way.

Do you know why they are called that? it's a horrid story...

The Betta came from a ancient clan of warriors, called the "Bettah" because they fought when placed together. Fighting Bettas became so popular, the king of Siam at the time had it regulated and taxed! the audiance would bet on the fish's bravery, rather than the damage done.

so sad...

hampalong

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
endlercollector said:
That old Siamese term was from a Pidgin English. The British had an uneasy relationship with the Thais. They didn't take over directly, but there was a lot of pressure.

Anyway, one of the things I did along the way was Southeast Asian studies...
Oh.... fair enough.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hollie1505 said:
My argument is that Beat-er/Bay-ta would be spelt Beta, no?xx
English is such a funny language for spelling. A teacher of mine once corrected my spelling of the word "dreamt", forcing me to write "dreamed. " But I say "spelled." And just a couple of years ago, a friend pointed out to me when I got confused and said "boughten." Sigh. I'm all mixed up having grown up hearing more than a dozen languages from around the Pacific, the Americas and Western Europe along with twice as many different English-speaking regions. The one half-caste Anglo-Indian great-great grandmother of mine would have been amused. (I was told that she was only English, but my daughter's DNA test told us otherwise!)

But this tale of Betta coming from a Siamese warrior caste is just difficult for me to believe because I have never known anyone ThaI with so few syllables in their name. Nicknames cannot be limited to one or two syllables of a given name as it then means something completely different and is very awkward. But I have lost touch with the Thais I have known, and none of them were into keeping fish anyway :0

So now we (or at least I) need to find out what the ThaI members can tell us because what I am really good at is learning by asking questions.
ThaI Aquarium owner
What can you tell us about this mythical Betta clan versus the story of the term coming from the English verb "to bet?" Are there others origin myths?

My apologies for this long post--SirI on iPhoneallows me to be long-winded while miss spelling much of what I say; I have lost my glasses yet again; and my tendinitis has flared up in a bad way after typing too many posts this week.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The actual correct pronunciation has been totally lost in today's society. Even the fancy betta fanatical breeders in English speaking countries don't say it right (though they think they do). They say "beh-tuh". Like if you were just making fun of an accent LOL.

The way the ThaI pronounce it is what I'd consider the most correct, given it's a word in their native tongue(ish, as @endlercollecter said - it's a long and complicated history lol). The "e" in the first syllable is something between the American English "a" and "e" and the spanish "e". LOL. That's the closest I can come to explaining it anyway. Closer to the mexican spanish letter "e" (pronounced somewhere in the range of "aeh") IMO, just based on what I've heard from some ThaI breeders. This differs slightly by dialect and accent within Thailand and Indonesia.

Me, I say it wrong. I know I say it wrong. Because in actuality I can't properly pronounce the word, as I don't speak any of the languages related to it. I say it like 99% of Americans - bay-tuh. And I'm fine with that. I'm sure I'll get yelled at at my first betta show though LOL.

OP
hollie1505

hollie1505

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't think there is ever really right and wrong ways to pronounce things. I have a broad Yorkshire accent and pronounce many words differently than say, a Londoner. It doesn't make my way correct or incorrect, it's just the way we pronounce stuff here.

Regional dialects and colloquialism will change the way things are pronounced too. In some cases, the word itself is entirely different.

The results so far seem to be a UK/US split. It would be interesting to get another opinion!xx

Rivieraneo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LoL, I just call mine Bait - tas and they don't seem to care as long as I have some blood worms in my hands.

BRP

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmm I thought Betta splendens is a scientific Latin name and there for I say bet like in 'better' .
My auto correct however thinks it should be pronounced as Betty ☺

New Threads