How Do You Prevent A Male Betta From Killing A Female Betta From Mating?

Victor Noda

Valued Member
Messages
159
Reaction score
36
Points
73
Experience
1 year
I have a 30 gallon tank with two Bettas, one male and one female. The male (Dark Blue Tick) has always pretty much stayed to himself and the female (Red and White Carmenita), has pretty much given up trying to get Tick's attention. Until today, when I cleaned my cannister filter, and added a submersible water filter which was more for a tiny surface flow from the far corner. Much to my surprise, the male Betta started a Bubble nest and has flurring his tail fin doing the ritual Betta mating dance. The female has come and gone, inspecting the bubble nest...probably telling him it's not big enough yet. He's been at it for about 30 minutes. Anywho...I read online that the way the male produces the eggs from the female is he wraps himself around her and squeezes the eggs out of her...which usually doesn't go well for the female. Other than separating the two, which have never fought with each other, what can I do to prevent the male Betta, from killing the female Betta? I wouldn't mind having the male raise fry btw, if they can both survive.
 

Attachments

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
2,158
Points
298
Experience
3 years
Well are you sure your ready for breeding? And i never suggest a betta sorority in a 30gallon. (Betta sorority can be females with other females or even males with other males.) Betta splendens are one of the most aggressive betta species. In order for this you would need a 90 - 100 gallon tank thickly planted. If you do want them to breed the male is smart enough not to hurt the female betta dureing it. Please do research on betta breeding and it can be hard as if they can become aggressive. If there is other fish in there take them out!!! Bettas will kill any other fish to protect their babys!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Victor Noda

Valued Member
Messages
159
Reaction score
36
Points
73
Experience
1 year
The largest display tank I have is only 55 gallons. I do have a sorority of 5 female Betts in a 8 gallon and they seem to be doing fine without a male betta, water levels test out fine and they share the tank with 3 neon tetras. I am beginning to rethink breeding though. We have one female Molly and its been fun watching and breeding fry with her in the 55 gallon tank and when they get large enough we share them with our LFS and Its been wonderful. I was hoping for the same thing with out bettas but now I'm really concerned. Ive never attempted this before.
 

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
2,158
Points
298
Experience
3 years
Victor Noda said:
The largest display tank I have is only 55 gallons. I do have a sorority of 5 female Betts in a 8 gallon and they seem to be doing fine without a male betta, water levels test out fine and they share the tank with 3 neon tetras. I am beginning to rethink breeding though. We have one female Molly and its been fun watching and breeding fry with her in the 55 gallon tank and when they get large enough we share them with our LFS and Its been wonderful. I was hoping for the same thing with out bettas but now I'm really concerned. Ive never attempted this before.
Then please do not breed them if your not ready. They can have 20-50 or some even 80 fry. all the fry need to be separated in their own tank/jar and you will need to sell them. They will then need daily water changes in their jar too. Bettas have eggs and they are alot different then live bears. Theres a lot to learn. Ive never breed bettas but have been doing lots of research on it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

Victor Noda

Valued Member
Messages
159
Reaction score
36
Points
73
Experience
1 year
Aaaahhhhh!!!! 80? I'm at work now... The mollies live bearer at about 20 to 30 but they aren't Chinese FIGHTING fish! Dang! What was I thinking? My wifes gonna kill me! Thanks dude! Gonna have to put the female back with her sorority! I dont mind the water changes, I have a regiment every morning but I cant picture 80 little jars every morning!
 

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
2,158
Points
298
Experience
3 years
Victor Noda said:
Aaaahhhhh!!!! 80? I'm at work now... The mollies live bearer at about 20 to 30 but they aren't Chinese FIGHTING fish! Dang! What was I thinking? My wifes gonna kill me! Thanks dude! Gonna have to put the female back with her sorority! I dont mind the water changes, I have a regiment every morning but I cant picture 80 little jars every morning!
Actually the highest number is 150 eggs to start with but after culling you can deal with 30 - 80 fry. Your plan sounds good.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

Victor Noda

Valued Member
Messages
159
Reaction score
36
Points
73
Experience
1 year
Man! Who breeds Bettas anyways? I had 4 tanks but gave away my OUTDOOR GOLDFISH one away after scrubbing the heck out of it and giving the goldfish to our friends who have a 16 foot long POND. Thanks for the learning experiences! It really has been fun though! And really really wet!
 

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
2,158
Points
298
Experience
3 years
Victor Noda said:
Man! Who breeds Bettas anyways? I had 4 tanks but gave away my OUTDOOR GOLDFISH one away after scrubbing the heck out of it and giving the goldfish to our friends who have a 16 foot long POND. Thanks for the learning experiences! It really has been fun though! And really really wet!
Many people breed bettas but only after many months of research! They are hard to breed because of aggression. We dont all have room on our tables for 80jars to be cleaned daily.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

Victor Noda

Valued Member
Messages
159
Reaction score
36
Points
73
Experience
1 year
Ive already taken over our 8 seat dining table for Hobby projects which I can clean up afterwards...Im pretty sure it wont be an option. I guess I'll just have to enjoy them at my LFS instead. Have fun guys! But I think I'm gonna try mystery snails instead?
 

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
2,158
Points
298
Experience
3 years
Victor Noda said:
Ive already taken over our 8 seat dining table for Hobby projects which I can clean up afterwards...Im pretty sure it wont be an option. I guess I'll just have to enjoy them at my LFS instead. Have fun guys! But I think I'm gonna try mystery snails instead?
Ive never done or know about breeding snails so i cant help you there. Other then do some research on breeding them.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11

Victor Noda

Valued Member
Messages
159
Reaction score
36
Points
73
Experience
1 year
I will! Thanks again. Sometimes shooting from the hip just ends up up in a very wet boy! You certainly gave me a lot of food for thought. I gotta go back to work now. Peace!
 

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Messages
8,409
Reaction score
4,378
Points
458
Experience
5 to 10 years
Victor Noda said:
Ive already taken over our 8 seat dining table for Hobby projects which I can clean up afterwards...Im pretty sure it wont be an option. I guess I'll just have to enjoy them at my LFS instead. Have fun guys! But I think I'm gonna try mystery snails instead?
Mystery snails are fairly easy to breed, just need a male and a female and time to incubate the eggs for hatching and a couple months to get them to a nice size to sell (a month old should be larger than a pea, two months they should be over a nickel in size if water is good and food is plenty).
Bettas aren't difficult to breed unless your pair is abnormally aggressive, the hardest part is raising the fry and keeping the parents happy, males need to be removed from the fry otherwise they have a tendency to eat them, females need to be removed from the male after breeding otherwise the male takes her as a threat and likely will try to remove her from the tank even if it means killing her in defense of the nest of eggs, which most females will eat.
If you are trying to breed research is key, you need tank space and time to care for them because they are sensitive and need pristine water for best growth.
 

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Messages
8,409
Reaction score
4,378
Points
458
Experience
5 to 10 years
Victor Noda said:
Can a male Betta fish die from Love Rejection?
No. It is not love between fish. Bettas are not a type of fish to form a bond because both parents do not care for the young, and half the time the male cares for them only a few days.
They can become disheartened from rejection but fish do not die from rejection.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15

Victor Noda

Valued Member
Messages
159
Reaction score
36
Points
73
Experience
1 year
Thank you so much for your quick response. My male betta has been just moping at the surface for the past few days and his fore fins are getting clearer...I was just a little worried. It looks like he finally stopped making his bubble nests. Poor little guy!
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom