How Do You Measure LED Lighting

1. davidinvt Initiate Member

I am new to this forum, but not new to the hobby.
    I have been keeping reef tanks for more than 20 years now and recently gotten interested in the whole LED craze.
    I have build several light fixtures with various LEDs that I bought online and am curious if anyone knows how to measure the Kelvin temperature and intensity of the lights. The manufacture of the lights gives specs but as we all know water does crazy things to lights and I would like to know how to adjust my lighting but need to measure it first. Any thoughts folks?
    Dave

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to the forum

Is the tank planted? There are just now coming out LED lights for planted tanks.

The thing to compare would be the effective lumens, since that is the measure of visible light.

3. davidinvt Initiate Member

Well its a reek tank so by default i would guess i would yes its planted though no specifix plants.

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Oh, I thought you were starting a freshwater tank. A mod will move your thread to the saltwater area, where you will get better responses.

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I personally have a terrible time explaining this so I will refer you to an article that helps me understand lighting things. http:///Aquarium_Lighting.html
    It's a little long but read the whole thing and I think it will answer your question.
    Carol

6. juice303 Member Member

check to see if the package gives you a P.A.R. value you want to be somewhere between 400 and 700.

7. Stang Man Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!!!

A few questions in mind, what type tank is this for a reef? Also the Led emitters are they a standard house hold bulb? The only way to measure Kelvin degrees is with a meter device also for the lumens that a bulb emits the light, okay say for instance and this is with any type of bulb keep in mind, the wattage can be of any value 1 watt or 150 watt that is just the energy that the bulb uses. For the Lumen factor, the higher the Lumen deree the brighter the bulb say for instance a 60 watt incandesent has a Lumen factor of lets say 400 that means that it is a very dim light and using the same bulb wattage and another bulb is at 1600 lumens which is a very bright light that the bulb transmits. daylight bulbs are at this level and higher the best way is to find out the Lumen Degree for the bulbs from the manufacture for each bulb that you are using and it does not matter the wattage it depends on the Lumens. The only one that will know this degree is the manufacture if it's not on the package. Kelvin degrees are the spectrum that the bulb emits through coloration of the bulb 10.000 uses only white with a hugh of blue spectrum and a very slight hugh of yellow and greens, a 6.500 uses more blue than white and has red and green in the spectrum. The spectrum that the bulb transmits plus the Lumens is what you need to find out in order to figure it out with out spending tons of money on metering devices, I hope this helps you out...