How Do You Manage Going On Vacation?

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by EmmyFish, Aug 6, 2017.

1. EmmyFish

EmmyFishValued MemberMember

I will be going on vacation for a full week and i'm worried about my fish. I plan on cleaning their tanks out really good before leaving. I have people that can feed them and turn on their lights though none of them have a track record for being good at keeping pets. :dead: I'm so worried.

2. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Feed a normal portion the day you leave, your fish will be fine. Don't be tempted to overfeed before leaving or upon returning.

3. Faris101

Faris101Valued MemberMember

What if your leaving for a month or so?

4. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Fish will be fine for a week without eating, I think. Or you could have them come in one day and feed them a little bit to kind of bridge the gap. If you don't have live plants, lights aren't necessary either.

5. Katie13

Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

I had the same thing happen recently (lost all betta fry over the 3 days). I had set each food out by the designated tank(s). I tried leaving portions, but it didn't work as I'd hoped. I'll be looking into better ways to prepare proportions from now on!

6. OP
    OP
    EmmyFish

I have live plants.

7. Fish-whisperValued MemberMember

Put your lights on small timer, they don't cost much. The person you have lined up for feeding tell them to come 1 day midway of your vacation, stress not to over feed. If your filter is the type with throw away cartridges do not throw them away, I would lightly brush them off in the water you remove from water change.

Enjoy your vacation the fish will be waiting for your return.

8. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Schedule somebody to feed them a few times a week.

9. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

If its only for a week I would feed them a bit more in the upcoming week before you leave, do a big water change just before leaving home and thats it.

10. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

I feed them, wait an hour then do a big water change. I also put in battery powdered air pumps with sponges just in case power goes out while I'm gone. I leave the tank lights off.

11. dansamy

dansamyValued MemberMember

Since I have a zoo, house sitter. We have three dogs, two cats and three aquariums.

12. Jckronk76

Jckronk76New MemberMember

lol I've got a zoo too.. 4 dogs 4 cats, rabbit and 2 tanks... I've got 1 of my tanks on continuous drip with an overflow now so hoping that works out for me.

13. tunafax

tunafaxWell Known MemberMember

I'm on vacation right now, 4 days and 3 nights. I have a gecko and 5 tanks, and I left them all in smoky Smokouver to brave the smoke, the heat wave, cycling tanks, and very sketchy heaters.

I have more reasons to worry than most worried people that come to fishlore all worried-like. I'm worried maybe 5% - but I'm also on anxiety meds, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If you have a sitter, you're better off than me and barring freak accidents, your pets will be just fine.

14. sfsamm

sfsammWell Known MemberMember

Do a large wc before leaving and don't feed afterwards. Leave the lights off and if you want them to know day from night crack the blinds in the room. Don't have anyone feed or turn on lights. The fish will be fine for a week, and the plants will survive it too.

I wouldn't risk someone with a poor track record of animals taking care of fish. One mistake and you'll have floaters.

15. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06Well Known MemberMember

why so worried ? fish can survive up to two weeks without food.

Do a water change and feed them before you leave like normaly. Enjoy your vacation.

concerning lights , best to get a timer.

That's it? I have 4 Dogs , 1 Cat , 15 aquariums , 2 Turtles, 1 Leopard Gecko, 2 Bunnies and 1 Ferret. :p

16. Susiefoo

SusiefooWell Known MemberMember

We have a paid pet sitter come daily (half hour visit) as we have a cat. She also takes care of the fish. I still portion out the food in those plastic pill boxes as I wouldn't trust anyone who wasn't an aquatics expert to know what not overfeeding meant. She just tips it in, checks the temperature and does a head count. Lights are on a timer for live plants.

If we didn't have the cat, I'd still pay a pet sitter to come in every few days just for the fish. It's not that expensive in the context of the outlay on a stocked tank. Unless you have a neighbour/local friend who can be trusted to do it.

Edit: this is after the trauma of our last tank, which was a single species tank with 8 beautiful tiger barbs. We came back from a week's honeymoon to find them all dead and the tank covered in a furry white slime. It seemed one (who was looking a bit unwell the day we left) had died and poisoned the whole tank :( If we'd had someone checking in they could have removed it and the rest would probably have survived.

17. dansamy

dansamyValued MemberMember

My zoo is definitely smaller and more limited, but still necessitates a sitter.

18. rhoneNew MemberMember

Good to hear they can go a week+ without food, and makes sense. What about the "vacation food" products you can buy, like the 7 day pyramids/slow release blocks? Are those ok/safe?

19. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Don't use them, they foul up your water and cause issues with ammonia.

20. OP
    OP
    EmmyFish

Cuz, I keep reading horror storys about people leaving and coming back to dead fishys.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice